Chapter 6

Nine point Eight

Chapter 6

A figure with a long white coat stands beside a pale young man lying on a hospital bed, which cables and tubes were connected to him. He keeps his eyes on the beeping monitor that showing his patient's decreasing heart beats.

He doesn't have much time to hold on anymore.

Then the door slides open and a middle aged woman stepped inside. Her eyes were swollen and wrinkles on her face made her looks like older than her actual age.

"How's his condition, doctor?" A middle aged man followed by stepping inside, he wraps around his arm on his wife's shoulder, preparing for the worst answer.

"Mr. and Ms. Haynes," he puts down a stethoscope that circled his neck, "I'm afraid I need to tell you that he might not be able to hold on until tomorrow."

The woman earlier shed her tears as his husband holds her closer.

***

It was when the first snow falls into the earth they had their first last storm. Screaming, fighting, leaving, he couldn't feel more miserable than he was as he drove furiously on a bad weather.

Would things turn out better if he hadn't shouted and ran from the reality? Would they have a happy ending if just he didn't leave?

His car tires screeched as he pushes himself to drive faster than he should. He kept increasing his speed, ignoring the fact that the tears were running down his face. Until a loud crash took his car stopped, resulting a severe injure on his internal organs.

Wouldn't he still woke up with her smile if he hadn't done so? Wouldn't she still laugh if all those things didn't happen?

"Tyler!" Hannah's voice snapped him up back to the reality. He blinks his eyes and scanned his familiar surroundings. Ah right, they're in the middle of a festival. Christmas celebration to be exact.

"Why are you keep staring into nothing for a while by now?" She twirls around and exhaled to the cold air as she looks up to the sky, "What should we do next?"

"I remember now," he murmured those words.

"Huh?"

"I remembered you..," he paused, trying to get over those flooding memories like a negative films inside his head, "And our last fight."

Her glassy eyes widened, breaking the happiness that shines through them just now. She trembles in fear, either way they're going to lose each other in the end too. There's no happy ending in their story.

***

"You said you love me!" Tyler Haynes's shout fills in the air in that certain living room. His mind was in a complete mess. He doesn't have a single clue at all. Why would Hannah Lawther lie to him? She never said that she has a fiancé. He felt like such a fool. He gave her every single moment he had, but she didn't. Or was she never intend to?

"Tyler," Hannah tried to explain everything to him. The truth is she was already planning to tell him long ago, but she never had the courage to do so. Afraid that he might be angry like he is now. "I-I had never intended to deceive you at all..."

"SHUT UP!" He exclaimed in anger, throwing those glares at her fiancé. She's happy enough to be with just some random rich, good-looking guy rather than with him?

Dave Stanford kept his mouth shut as he stands there, practically in the middle of the two of them. How can things turned out to be like this?

"I understand." Tyler grabbed his coat and dashed through Dave's shoulder out to the cold weather. He can't help but to leave. That place is no longer a place that he belongs to. Not a place that he can be involved with again too.

"Tyler wait!!" Hannah's voice cracked in tears as she chases after Tyler to his silver ford. "Tyler! Listen to me!" She knocked his window glass repeatedly, "I've never felt like that! I've always love you!"

He turns on the machine and pulls off the hand brake, drive the car off the parking lot. Without even looking back once to her again. He unconsciously bites his tongue, wanting to scream the overwhelmed emotion inside him, but he can't.

Another bang on his dashboard. He wanted to have her so much that he couldn't think of anything but her. He thought he had his everything, but it's just not true.

Transmitting the third gear into four, he increased his speed even more. Didn't care about the snow, didn't care about the road, just her. It's always her.

Before he could realized the road guardrail in front of him, his car already on full speed to the cliff. He hit the brake spontaneously, creating a piercing tire screech along the sharp turn. But then again, it was too late.

***

"He had a severe internal injury," said Dr. Petterson, who is most likely to be the one who had operated Tyler, "We managed to save his life somehow, but I doubt he can hold on for a long time. And even if he could, there will be a lifetime paralyze on his legs. I'm truly sorry, Mr. and Ms. Haynes."

Dave Stanford stood in shock not too far away from Tyler's parents. How should he tell Hannah about this? That Tyler will no longer be around her. That the thing that's keeping him alive is no other than the machines. He sledded down the wall against him, down to the cold floor. What on earth should he say to Hannah?

He's still alive but barely breathing.

His heart is still beating but not supporting.

He couldn't hold on.

Even if he could, there'll be a lifetime paralyze.

And what's the worst of all above,

Is he didn't have any reason to live anymore.

Sorry is not -and will never be-enough at all.

***

Tears were streaming down Hannah's cheeks as she remembered about their last fight too. She had never imagined that it will be the last time she said she loved him. Even though she used to say those words every time he woke up beside her.

"I'm sorry..," she held down her head, didn't want to look at his eyes because everyone knows that it's too late to say sorry. "I have never meant to do that, and I don't want us to end up like this."

People around them must have been confused having her cried out of the blue, but she couldn't care less. She truly loves Tyler Haynes, and even though they forgot about each other somehow, she knew that she'll fall back to him again. Just like how he fell right back to her.

Tyler lifts up her head gently, "It's never been your fault. It's mine from the first place." He tries to smile, but the pain in his heart was too strong. "And I too, will always feel the same way no matter how our story ends."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you enjoy this chapter! I don't have much things to say but keep reading cause this is not the end yet! And also don't forget to vote and comment! Be sure to let me know if there's a part that you don't quite understand!