Chapter 8

• Dedicated to you

Nine point Eight

Chapter 8

Dave Stanford wanders around the hallway as his eyes keep glancing at the clock, and then to the red light above an operation room.

Leukemia?

Dammit, he screamed inside, why can't he be the one that has an A blood type? Why must she, the one he cherishes so much, even though she never had a single feeling back on him? Now he just wanted to tear up all his hair. One word: desperate.

He nearly jumps when the light over the automatic door turns green and Dr. Petterson walks out of a certain room. Tell him that the operation went successfully. Please.

Their eyes meet. Both freeze in their place, trying to find the words to explain.

"You can go home now, Dave," Dr. Petterson was the first to talk, "It's a big success."

The strength in his knees somehow fled away. Now they both can live a happily ever after storyline. Well, even though he didn't get to be the one who make her smile, he's okay just by seeing her smile.

"They will be transferred to the room soon. And also we'll still have to monitor their conditions for a week," he demanded as he excused himself.

Hannah Lawther, she's the one who's miraculously got the same blood type and allele with Tyler. Even though there are risks she must have considered, she insisted to share her spinal cord for Tyler. Hannah Lawther is no longer the girl that often thinks the world as a tragedy anymore. She has changed.

Tyler Haynes. A boy who lives his life with full of regrets. May the second chance that he was given to could change him forever. He learned that it's no use to look back on things that can't be change, but look forward instead. Cherish the things you have now.

A smile carved on Dave's face, he turns over to a figure that stands behind him with a teary eyes. "She's alright now, Mr. Lawther."

"Yeah." His hair that was turning grey so fast these days feels a bit lighter than usual. Like a heavy burden has been lifted up.

"And I was wondering, can I refuse the engagement?" Dave hands over some kind of church reserved flyer "I think she has found the man she wanted to be with."

Then Dave Stanford walks out the hospital, breathes in the cold air. Now he can go home peacefully. Be happy, Hannah Lawther.

***

"-ler."

"Tyler."

He tries to open his eyelids that somewhat feels so heavy. The hazy, unfamiliar surroundings has made him wonder, where is he now? This isn't afterlife isn't it? Then his eyes locked on the monitor that showing some lines that he's yet to understand.

That's his heartbeat?

He jumps awake, resulting a slight headache. Now he realized the most unbelievable thing he has wished for a while. He's alive. He's still breathing all along.

"Tyler, can you recognize me?" A middle aged woman comes nearer. And all the memories he felt like forgotten suddenly comes back to him. "You're in coma for 2 long weeks and we thought you wouldn't make it."

"Mother?" Then he looks at the man standing near the door "Father?"

They instantly give him a hug "Boy, it's been a long time since you call us 'mother' and 'father'," she said.

He chuckled in their warm hug "Yeah I know. I used to mention your names all the time."

Damn. Did he really used to call his parents by their names? How can he ended up to be his exact opposite from his own self? And the fact he still couldn't believe is he still alive. What on earth has made him to think that he's dead?

"Um..," he murmured as he lets go his parents hug because it gets more embarrassing. "Where's..?"

"She's on the room right next to where we are now," said Dr. Petterson as he puts off the oxygen mask that was covering Tyler's mouth and also the infuse that was attached on his left arm. "Go meet your soon-to-be fiancee!"

"Dang. I'm not." He gets up from the bed and stares at everyone, "I really need clothes."

***

"Knock-knock!" he demanded cheerfully and he can't help the butterflies in his chest when her soft voice told him to enter.

He stepped inside with a bright smile.

Another too-good-to-be-true illusion, she thinks. Her eyes were following every single steps he took. Most of her heart believes that the one that standing in front of her is Tyler Haynes.

"Hey, Hannah Lawther." His smile went wider as he stuffed his hands to his pockets.

She grips her book tighter "Tyler Haynes? Is that you?" Remembering that his doctor said that the chance for him to wake up was really low, how can she believe what is her eyes seeing now?

"It's me," he answered with a whisper with his deep voice.

The book touched the floor with a thud.

Hannah Lawther circled her arms around his neck. "I miss you," she whispered back beside his ear.

"Me too." He traces down his lip to her neck "Can I kiss you properly now?" he asked for her permission, considering that their last goodbye kiss wasn't real.

"Mhm-hm." Her cheeks went pink.

Then she could feel the soft sensation on her lips as she drifts her eyes closed.

"Look out the window, Hannah," he said as he keeps his breath slow. "It's snowy again."

"I know." She kissed his lips for a second before she runs to get her scarf and jacket on the hanger. "Wanna play with the snow?"

He smiles, chasing her until they're outside. "Got you now!" He locked her in his arms again as she struggles to break free with laugh. And they both fell into the cold snow.

"Okay, I can feel the cold now. I'm alive." He strokes his hands together even though it did nothing.

She laughs out "Yeah I guess. I'm cold too-"

Tyler Haynes held her again for the umpteenth times by now "It's not too cold now."

Hannah Lawther nodded, then she whispers, "I love you, our second chance, and our happily ever after."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sad to say this but, this is the last chapter. And soon, I'll be posting the epilogue. Hope you guys satisfied with the happy ending :) Don't forget to vote and comment!