serendipity; kiba inuzuka

Kiba had always taken a liking to you.

You weren't sure why, but the very first day you walked up to the Academy, Kiba had pointed at you and exclaimed, "I want that one, mom!"

His mom, who you learned was named Tsume a few years later, just glared at him and scolded him for his behaviour, and your own mother simply guided you away from the child.

Several years later, when the teams were being announced, it was to Kiba's great displeasure when he found out that he wasn't going to be on a team with you. But as much as he groaned, Iruka-sensei wouldn't lighten up or change his decision. Instead, you were placed on a team with fellow students, Kenji and Michiko. Kenji was a strong boy with a sharp mind, and Michiko was a beautiful girl with an incredible sense of intellect. Combine their skills with yours, and you were sure to pass the test your leader, Reina-sensei, had given you.

And you did. With a smile, Reina exclaimed, "you pass!" Which lead to Michiko giving you a hug and Kenji joining in. And soon, the three of you were all laughing along with your leader.

Unbeknownst to you, Kiba, having finished his test his team leader Kurenai had given him along with teammates Hinata and Shino, watched this entire experience. He glared at Kenji, claiming that the boy was "stealing him from you." But before he could take any action, Shino dragged him away and covered his mouth so he wouldn't scream and attract attention.

However, Kiba didn't need to worry.

As you and your team progressed, it was clear that Kenji and Michiko had a thing for each other. It sometimes annoyed you to no end that you were the third wheel, but since the two of them were both too smart for their own good, they picked up on your discomfort quickly and made sure to include you. You were grateful but wished that you could have that experience with someone.

Lucky you, you didn't need to look too far.

As you walked down the somewhat-busy streets, wanting to give Kenji and Michiko some alone time, you saw Kiba, hanging out by himself. You waved to him and walked over, despite knowing about his intense crush on you. "I mean, come on, it's obvious," you had said to Michiko when both of you were fifteen, "it's like he attached a tracker to me."

"A microchip?" Michiko offered, which sent both of you into hysterics.

But now that you were older, you didn't make fun of Kiba as much as you used to. Michiko teased that it was because you developed a crush on the boy, but you weren't sure what was going on. Perhaps you had just matured?

You squatted down on the ground to pet Akamaru, Kiba's ninken. As much as Kiba had annoyed you in your childhood, his dog was always adorable. You couldn't really fault the animal for things his owner had done, so you always gave Akamaru a treat whenever you had one on hand.

You didn't have one this time, so you simply scratched him behind the ears and stood up once again.

"No treat this time?" Kiba asked, raising an eyebrow.

You shook your head. "Nope, sorry. I didn't come from my house. I came from Ichiraku's. Kenji and Michiko looked like they wanted to be alone."

"Ah, those lovebirds. You should see Hinata with Naruto, or worse, Sakura with Sasuke when he was here."

You laughed. "I haven't been around Sakura that much. For whatever reason, she and I never got along. It's no big deal, though, if I were to go by what Sasuke thinks of her."

The two of you continued to walk around and chat until you saw Michiko running up to you. "Y/N! Where have you been- oh. I see. Ditched us for Kiba?"

You turned a bright shade of scarlet. "What? No! You and Kenji just need to confess to each other already. I'm done playing cupid by leaving the two of you alone."

Kiba chuckled at this remark.

"Whatever," Michiko shrugged. "Have fun."

The two of you didn't really hang out for that much longer. It was getting pretty dark out, and you didn't want your mother to worry, so you told Kiba you'd see him later before running off to your house.

When you got there, you went to bed pretty much immediately, despite not being able to sleep. You couldn't help but think, shit, do I have a thing for Kiba?

A few months had passed, and you and Kiba proceeded to talk more and more. Kiba got less and less flustered by your presence, and you had confirmed that yes, you do have a thing for Kiba. However, a significant factor in that is that he would compliment you—a lot.

"I like your shirt."

"You look lovely today."

"Nice hair!"

You didn't know if he even meant them or not since he acted relatively normal around you now compared to when the two of you were younger.

"You're so beautiful," Kiba had said to you one day when you were having a particularly bad day. "And you're cute when you're angry. A good combo, if you ask me."

You raised an eyebrow at his compliments and laughed. "Kiba, thank you, but please, I'm not in the mood for backhanded compliments."

"Backhanded compliments? What do you mean?" He asked, genuinely confused by your words. He was genuine.

"Kiba. I know you liked me back in our academy and Genin days. Do you seriously expect me to believe that you've held on to those same feelings now that we're eighteen?" You were making your way to your front door now, completely ready to just be done with the day and go to bed.

He sighed, his shoulders drooping. Akamaru sensed his sadness as well and began to whimper. "Y/N, I have no idea what you're talking about, but I am serious. I've genuinely liked you since that day I said I want 'that one' to my mother."

You smirked. "Kiba, don't make me come over there myself. You know how I get when someone shows me affection."

"I do not. Do tell."

You laughed and ran over, enveloping him in a hug. "You know, I've been thinking."

"You have? Maybe I should try that sometime," he replied with a chuckle.

You playfully slapped his chest. "Hush. As I was saying before I was rudely interrupted, I've been thinking. And you know what? I like you too."

"Wait, what?"

You nodded. "It's true. So maybe we should make this official."

"I think maybe we should. But man, I can't believe we confessed to each other before Kenji and Michiko."

"Technically, you didn't confess," you informed him.

"I didn't need to. You already knew how I felt." He responded. "Anyways, you should get inside before your mom wonders what the hell you're doing standing out here. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"See you tomorrow!"

Luckily, your mother wasn't even home.