wabi-sabi; kakashi hatake

The last place you ever expected to be was at Kakashi's front door.

It wasn't that Kakashi and you didn't get along. It was more of the fact that your ex-boyfriend hadn't liked him. He claimed that Kakashi was a man that couldn't be trusted. Since you hated arguing, you respected his wishes and distanced yourself from the man you actually loved.

The only reason that you started dating the man in the first place was that you knew that Kakashi more than likely didn't return your feelings for him. Even if he did, you didn't deem him the type to settle down with someone. And after everything he'd been through, you couldn't blame him.

You had actually broken up with him after you had caught him with another woman, in bed no less. You simply didn't want to deal with a cheater, and you didn't live with him, so it wasn't going to be that much of a hassle to distance yourself from him, unlike what you had done with Kakashi.

The reason why you were at his door was pointless, anyway. You should probably turn around before one of his dogs picked up your scent and began to bark, likely waking Kakashi up in the process.

It was simple. You couldn't sleep. You had tried, but all you could think of was seeing your ex-boyfriend with that woman. You tossed and turned, but your body just wouldn't let you sleep.

You were just about to turn away when one of his dogs began to bark. You glared at the door and were about to make a run for it when the door opened.

"Y/N?"

You turned, looking at your feet. "Uh... hi."

"Hi yourself. What are you doing here?" He raised an eyebrow.

You gulped. "Ah, um... well... I can't sleep, can I stay here?" You asked, looking up at him. And then you realized that he wasn't wearing his mask. And god, was he ever attractive. You could only help that you didn't look like you were checking him out."

Kakashi leaned against the door, arms crossed in front of his chest. "Shouldn't you be with him? You know, your boyfriend? I thought you hated me."

You shook your head. "I don't hate- I could never hate you. Let me in, and I'll explain everything."

And so you did. You explained how your ex-boyfriend hadn't trusted him and therefore had asked you to stay away from him. About how you had caught him in bed with a woman you didn't know and that it was plaguing your thoughts all night, and therefore you were unable to sleep.

"Well," he shrugged. "I don't mind letting you stay here, but it's not like you'd be able to sleep on the couch. The dogs like to sleep there. You can either sleep in the bed with me, or you can sleep on the floor."

Despite having to sleep on the floor several times while on missions, you always had something to sleep on. This time, you had nothing. So, you agreed to share the bed with him. The condition that nothing would happen between the two of you didn't need to be said.

Although, you would be lying if you said that you'd complain if something were to happen.

You grabbed the corner of the blanket and immediately laid down, instantly feeling comfortable. You sighed in relief, enjoying the cushiony feeling that the pillow gave your head.

"Comfortable?" Kakashi asked, giving you a tired chuckle.

"Definitely," you laughed, bringing the blanket up to your neck. "If I knew your bed was this comfy, I'd have asked to sleep in here more often. As in, genuinely sleeping," you added the last sentence with an awkward chuckle.

"Yeah," he seemed to agree, turning over on his side, "Night, Y/N."

"Goodnight, Kakashi."

All in all, you slept fine. That wasn't the reason you woke up.

Kakashi was the reason.

However, he wasn't doing anything to you, per se. But the man that you loved was shaking, crying in his sleep. A nightmare, you thought, lying as still as you could manage as to not disturb him.

He seemed to want to be disturbed, though. A few minutes had passed, and he turned to face you, wrapping his arms around your waist in what would have been a death grip had he been awake. You sat yourself up and sighed, running your fingers through his hair.

That woke him up. "Y/N...?" He asked, looking up at you with an expression that was an equal mixture of tired and scared.

"Hello, Kakashi. It's okay. You were having a nightmare."

"Oh..." he trailed off, likely trying to remember what was happening in the said nightmare. When he laid his head back on the pillow, however, you had a guess that he had failed to recognize what had been happening.

"Can I stay in this position a little longer?" He asked, which, in your opinion, seemed quite out of character, but you didn't push it. "I just... I need to... I need-"

"It's okay, yes, you can stay here." You felt upset that he was so deprived of human contact that he needed someone to hold so he could calm down from a nightmare that he didn't even remember. You didn't mention it,

He mumbled a "thank you" before appearing to have fallen asleep. You were wrong, however, when he raised his head and asked if you could lay back down. You nodded and laid back down as he had asked, continuing to run your fingers through his hair as you had been before he woke up.

"I won't let anyone hurt you, you're safe with me," you whispered, pressing a kiss to his forehead. And you hadn't even noticed what you had done until you were on the brink of sleep.

You could only hope that he didn't remember.

That didn't seem to be the case.

You knew this because Kakashi, the little shit, had brought it up the second the both of you were awake.

"Did you kiss my forehead last night?"

You groaned as he laughed, a laugh that you never saw in full due to his mask continually being on. You gave a slight smile at the sight before you remembered you were supposed to be angry at him.

"I- It was just a thing that happened. I was tired and didn't think. I apologize." You frowned, now feeling embarrassed and guilty that you had let your affections show, the same affections that you had been holding back for years now.

He shrugged. "It's alright. It helped me fall asleep."

"Wait, does that mean-?" You trailed off, not wanting to finish your sentence in fear of being wrong.

He turned to you. "Huh? What does what mean?"

You narrowed your eyes. "You know damn well what I'm talking about, Hatake."

"No, I don't believe I do." The smirk on his face said otherwise, but you knew better than to push it, so you simply finished your sentence.

"Does that mean... that you... like me...?" You said that last part very quietly.

"Hm?" His smirk somehow got more extensive, and you groaned, burying your face in the pillow.

"I'm not repeating myself."

"That's fine," he replied, wrapping his arms around your waist. "Because yes, it does mean that. And I can tell you like me, too."