destinesia; kakashi hatake

If he was being perfectly honest, he had no idea how he ended up with you.

Not that it was a bad thing that he was with you, but in reality, it was unexpected to... pretty much everyone in town.

The only connection you had with him in your childhood was the fact that you had been a family friend of Rin. When she introduced you to him, that only meant you recognized him in the street. Nothing more, and nothing less.

That changed after Obito's death.

"I don't get it, (Y/N)," the young girl had said to you the next time she saw you. "He rejected me... but why?"

You shrugged. "I couldn't tell you, Rin. I barely know him."

With a small sigh, the two of you changed the subject, to something of a happier note.

Speaking of Kakashi, you hadn't seen him at all. That is, until you saw Rin impaled on his chidori.

You had immediately assumed the worst, and had ran to her immediately after Kakashi was out of earshot.

"I will avenge you, Rin Nohara. I promise I will avenge you."

That day had never happened. The second you encountered Kakashi, you confronted him about her death.

'Confronted' meaning pushing him against a tree, with a kunai to his throat, demanding an answer as to why he killed her.

When Kakashi, a man not known for his emotions, began to uncontrollably sob in front of you, you had all the answers you needed to know.

You didn't see him for a long time after that day. You made repeated visits to Rin's family, apologizing to them for their daughter's death, even though it wasn't your fault.

And, when you did see Kakashi, which happened to be when he was sitting in front of her grave, mourning her loss, you apologized to him, too– apologizing for lashing out at him and not knowing all the details. He simply nodded at you, being unable to find it in himself to speak.

Several years had passed, and Kakashi had changed. He had joined ANBU and later became captain, you knew that. But you knew that he wasn't the same young boy that he was before the deaths of his teammates.

There was a lighter aura among him, or, at least, he put on a great façade. No one seemed to suspect a thing, no one you knew, anyway.

You were a simple Jōnin, not in any particular special rank. You didn't have the desire to join ANBU, so you lived a relatively quiet life.

Sometimes, you and Kakashi would see each other at Rin's grave. You would greet each other silently, not really knowing what to say. You didn't mind, and you were sure he didn't, either.

That is, until he confronted you about it.

"Why do you never talk to me?" He spoke one day, and you jumped. You weren't in any particular location, just sitting on a bench. Which meant that he had purposely sought you out.

"I don't have a reason to, I guess," you responded with a shrug, looking at the ground in between your feet. "Was there a reason you came to speak to me?"

"Not really." And with that, he walked away.

And as time went by, the two of you got closer. No one expected it, not that you knew of.

When you realized your feelings for him, you were shocked. You didn't avoid him, so to speak, but you stayed inside a lot more, trying to reason with yourself, tell yourself that you weren't ready for love and romance. You were a Jōnin, not a civilian. You couldn't just fall in love.

However, fate was against you, it seemed. You went out for groceries one day, and ran into him. Unsurprisingly, he confronted you avoid 'avoiding him'.

You simply told him the truth. You told him that you were trying to reason with your feelings.

"Feelings?" You could tell just from his eye that he was confused, "what sort of feelings?"

"Feelings for... someone." Damn it. You shouldn't have hesitated.

That simple hesitation was all it took.

"I wouldn't be surprised if the one you have feelings for returns those feelings."

And that had been the start of a new relationship.

And here you were, a few years later, in bed one morning. You had moved in with him fairly recently, and he had acquired a genin team just the other day.

"Kakashi, if you don't get out of bed, you're going to be late," you groaned after looking at the time, having just opened your eyes.

The man had latched himself onto you, his arms around your waist and his head on your shoulder. "I'm always late," he smirked, and you could practically feel it.

"Maybe it's time for a change," you said with a chuckle, turning around. "Come on, you don't want to get fired."

He chuckled as well, tucking a stray piece of hair behind your ear. "Can I tell you something first?"

"Sure," you replied, sitting up onto your elbows. "What is it?"

"I am so in love with you."

You spent the rest of the day lovestruck. In your eyes, that was the most romantic thing he'd ever said to you.

You knew other girls would scoff at that, saying there were far more romantic things. But you didn't care, and paid them no mind.

He was yours. And he was in love with you.

You were still over the moon about it even weeks later. Kakashi was talking about... something. All you could hear was his voice, telling you over and over again, saying "I am so in love with you."

Your thoughts were interrupted when Kakashi waved his hand in front of your face. "Are you alright?" He asked, "what's wrong?"

You blushed. "N-nothing," you muttered, looking away from him.

"Well, it can't be nothing if it's got you like this. What's up?"

You sighed, knowing you had no other choice but to admit what was on your mind. "You- you're in love with me. You're so in love with me."

You inwardly giggled at the look on his face as he slowly realized that you were talking about what he said a while back.

"I am so in love with you," he said, wrapping his arms around your waist, "and I'll tell you again, and again, and again."