selenophile; shino aburame

You intrigued him. The way you seemingly glowed wherever you went. The way you smiled at the stars as if they were your brothers and sisters. For all he knew, they could be.

When you walked, it felt like the stars were chasing after you. He felt like he was looking at heaven right before him. But he wasn't dead, as he had checked his pulse several times upon encountering you.

He just didn't know what it was about you that made you seem so appealing.

The others didn't get it. Not one bit. Kiba would laugh at him, say that you were just a girl; a girl that did the same thing they all did. You were no different from Sakura and Ino in his eyes.

He rarely even saw you. You tended to shy away from crowds, preferring to stand alone. Sure, you were with your squad often, but when you could be alone, you were. He knew this because no one ever saw you some days.

But what he didn't know is that you didn't choose to be alone, you had simply been alone your entire life. Born into a family of shinobi who were too busy to care for you, you were raised solely by those who could look after you. And when you were old enough, you cared for yourself. It wasn't that you didn't mind the company, you simply weren't used to it.

If he was being honest, neither was he.

His tendencies towards others made other people stay away from him, claiming him to be creepy.

So he's observed that he has some things in common with you– you both spend most of your time alone, but for different reasons. He wanted to know more about you... but when you didn't want to be found– you weren't.

You were aware of his existence. You knew he watched you.

You had never seen someone so fascinated by you before. You simply did your things and carried on the day. You were a simple shinobi, just like him. You didn't think you were that special.

You were watching the stars one night, away from everyone else. You weren't even sure if you were in Konoha anymore, if you were being honest. You didn't really care, you'd find your way back.

Despite it being dark out, and anyone could attack at any given moment, you were at peace. It was nice and quiet, and no one was around you. Granted, hardly anyone ever was, but right now, you truly felt alone.

Until you felt eyes on you. You weren't sure who's they were at first, all you knew was that someone was watching you. You paid them no mind, and let whoever it was continue to watch. If they wanted a fight, though, they'd get a fight. No doubt about it.

After what felt like hours of them staring, you heard them retreat into the shadows, and you were alone once again.

It happened again the next night.

Although you could have avoided whoever it was by simply not going to see the stars that night, your love for the stars was greater than your fear of whoever was watching you, and since you weren't afraid at all, you didn't care about it and just went along with it.

This time, they stayed for even longer. You didn't mind. They weren't doing anything wrong by simply watching, were they?

After a few weeks of this occurring, you noticed a small bug crawl up onto your finger, and you just let it sit there.

You lifted your finger to the moon, letting the bug, who seemed quite content to be there, see the view.

"That's the moon. It's beautiful, isn't it? I'm glad I get to share the view with somebody. It's not often someone seeks out my company like this."

You paused, hoping that the person watching you didn't find it weird that you were communicating with a bug. You wouldn't really care if it weren't for the fact that it could potentially stir gossip, which you never liked.

"I've always loved the moon," you continue with a sigh, "I think it's beautiful. But it must be lonely up there, it has no one to talk to. I guess that the moon and I have that in common. Maybe one day, the moon and I will both have people that want to be with us forever."

Just then, the bug flew away. You simply sighed again and tucked the hand the bug was on top of back under your head.

"Doesn't that position get uncomfortable?" You hear a voice.

You looked up to see the face of Shino Aburame, a boy your age you never really interacted with. However, you knew that he had a fascination with you, so you should have guessed it was him that had been watching you this whole time.

"Sometimes," you smiled, sitting up. "You can sit down, you know. I don't mind your company."

"You don't...? You don't think I'm creepy?"

"Not at all!" You chuckled, gesturing him to sit next to you. Once he did, you resumed your words. "Not one bit. You didn't have to spend a few weeks watching me, you could have just sat here."

"I wanted to test the waters," he muttered, "I sent a bug over to see how you reacted to company."

"Oh, so that was you! Clever!" You flash him a smile again, when suddenly, he looks away. Before you can begin to ask him if he's okay, he begins to talk.

"I just- I've been watching you, figuring out how to approach you for months, to now only find out that I could have simply just walked up to you and said hello? Well, I suppose that that was kind of a waste then."

You shrug. "I suppose. You know, you're lucky you're cute, or otherwise, I may not have let you come over here."

But before he could respond, you laugh and walk away, waving afterwards. "Same place, same time!"