Chapter 6: Magic Test (Part 1)

Star and Sabriye stood far apart from each other at both ends of an open field for Sabriye's magic test to commence. Sabriye held her wand tightly as she and Star glared at each other's eyes, sky blue at onyx gray and vice versa, intensely as tensed silence filled the air.

Marco and Eclipsa stood by the sidelines, looking at the two girls on the battlefield, sweatdropping with a bit of nervousness at the thick silence in the atmosphere that could be cut with a knife, although Eclipsa stayed more composed than Marco. Eclipsa had already explained the rules of the test and, currently Sabriye was recalling them.

"The rules are simple: Spells that can kill or seriously injure your opponent are prohibited in this test. When one of you is unable to battle from exhaustion or immobility, the match is settled and victory will be given to the last one standing. If the fight gets out of hand, I'll suspend it immediately."

Sabriye made sure that her newly acquired Magic Mode was turned on before battle, which meant her usual attacks from her watch are then made purely of Mewman magic and the wand was not always necessarily required, yet she kept it on her back, just in case.

Marco could be seen by the sidelines, holding a whistle, waiting for Eclipsa's signal. Once Eclipsa gave him a nod, he blew the whistle and, as if on cue, the girls on the battlefield then threw various magic spells at each other at the very next second.

Star used Narwhal Blast at Sabriye while she countered it with a spell of her own, one of her power moves, Hyper Beam. Using Substitute, she disappeared from Star's sight, reappeared behind her and used Swift at her, causing Star to be sent flying slightly further away from Sabriye.

Gritting her teeth, Star immediately used Hallucination Mist at Sabriye and, as Sabriye's onyx gray pupils dilated, Star knew she was under the effects of the spell and distracted. Seizing the chance to strike, Star used Dagger Crystal Heart Attack at her, only to see her target disappear the moment the crystalline shots touched her.

With her sky blue eyes widened in shock, Star let her guard down for moment and at that very second a water beam was shot at her from behind, once again, sending her flying to a distance. Standing back on her feet, Star was, again, shocked to find Sabriye, or rather, Water standing in front, with a smirk and not under the effects of Hallucination Mist.

"Sorry, Star. Just a little illusion for your spell earlier," Sabriye, who turned back to normal, said, with a smirk and hint of cockiness in her tone. Star's jaw dropped for a moment and the next thing Sabriye knew, Star was seen pouting at her, "Should've known you're sneaky."

With her smirk widening, Sabriye said, with both the cockiness from before and amusement dripping in her tone, "Heh. Yeah, I get that a lot." Resuming the battle, Sabriye then launched the crystalline shards from her wand at Star's feet.

As expected of Star, she dodged them all by jumping up from the ground. However, unknown to her, Sabriye had a small smirk hidden from her as she had another trick up her sleeve once again. All of a sudden, a giant ice wall emerged from the ground behind Star and bright green glyphs was summoned on it.

Out from the glyphs appeared vines that wrapped Star's arms and legs and pulled her to the wall, freezing her back (A/N: Not literally, of course.). The ice wall then disappeared into the ground after the vines let go of Star's arms and legs. Star then rubbed her back on the warm ground, waiting for the extreme coolness of her back to die down.

Looking at the ridiculous but hilarious scene before her, Sabriye first sweatdropped at the scene and ended up laughing. Eclipsa, who was sweatdropping at the scene along with Marco, asked, facing Star, "Are you able to continue the battle, dear?"

Star instantly rose to her feet with determination written in her eyes and nodded vigorously in response to her question. As the battle resumed for awhile, it was seen that Star had gained the upper hand while Sabriye had a few small scars on her face and body and was panting with slight exhaustion written on her face.

Star had a smirk of her own on her face as she mocked, "Not so tough now, are you, Sabriye?" This resulted in Sabriye gritting her teeth. Sabriye knew she shouldn't give up. She knew she had to win if she wanted to be able to beat villains out there in other universes - to be able to protect her loved ones.

Her mind then flashed back to Ali who got injured by Dos and Trez on her first mission, back at MATA. Her onyx gray eyes darkened at the memory as she thought to herself with guilt, 'If I'd been strong enough and not let my guard down, he wouldn't have gotten hurt.'

Slowly, various memories filled her head. Memories of her family and friends back home and the new friends she had made in TAPOPS, MATA and Mewni. Those memories showed her how much she desired to protect them, reminding her of why she chose this life in the first place.

They also reminded her of why she chose to step into a newly formed adventurous life instead of continuing the old, boring life she had wished to disappear from before the appearance of the very first portal that sucked her in and changed her life. Steeling her resolve, she faced Star and took her stance with newly found determination.

At the corner of her eye, she saw her watch light up and internally smirked. Sabriye ran towards Star at high speed and, as Star prepared a spell, she brought her watch up and a bright pink light shone, resulting in Star, Marco and Eclipsa covering their eyes at the extreme brightness.

Before Star could uncover her eyes, a bright pink ball of light was launched say her, once again sending her flying to a distance away from her original position. Rising to her feet, her sky blue eyes widened and gasped as she noticed that something about Sabriye had changed drastically.
______________________________________

A/N: Hey guys, sorry for the late update. I got a bit lazy and I wasn't able to think of how to write this chapter to make it a little more exciting. Anyways, I'm planning on making a Christmas chapter of another book soon, so be sure to expect it. Thanks for reading this, hope you guys liked it, stay tuned for more updates and I'll see you in the next chapter. Bye. 👋🏼