"You're crushing your fajita," was all he said.

I looked to see the meat was out of the tortilla. I put it down and said, "That's it! I'm done!" I got up from the table and walked out of the cafeteria and went straight to the bathroom. I put my hands on the sink and looked at the mirror, thinking about how pathetic I am.

Last time Chris and I spoke to each other, I didn't know what I was thinking when I agreed we needed to spend some time apart. I've only known him for a week and I wanted to get to know him better. If I had a chance to go back in time, I would've said no and told him how much he means to me. But now, I can't.

These past five weeks have been rough for me. The first two weeks have been the hardest. Whenever I see Chris in the hallways, I want to go over to him and talk to him, but the flashbacks happen and I decided not to. Every day, I started to get more and more frustrated. I take my frustrations out by punching the walls in my basement. I made a couple of holes in the wall. My mom started to notice my frustrations.

"Brian, what's wrong?" she asked me on a Saturday afternoon.

"Nothing." I was washing the dishes, and I think she knows by the way I was scrubbing the dishes.

"Brian, a mother knows when something's going on with their child."

"I said nothing's wrong."

"Brian, I just want to know. Please tell me."

I turned to her. "You need to learn how to mind your own damn business!" I threw a plate into the sink. "I'm going to Mrs. Wilcox's house."

"Brian Nickolas Walker, you come back here right now!" My mom yelled when I opened the door and slammed it shut.

Mrs. Wilcox was the neighbor I was helping. She's eighty years old and her husband passed away five years ago from a heart attack. For the two weeks I was helping her, I was helping her with her garden. She's the only one I can talk to about my problems. She's a great listener and knows how to give good advice.

I knocked on her door and she was surprised to see me since I'm not helping her that day, but she invited me inside her house anyway. As she was serving me milk and cookies, I was telling her about my problems with Chris. After I got done, she nodded her head and said, "Brian, you can't stay in the past. It's going to haunt you if you let it."

"I know, but I don't know how to get over it," I said.

She took a sip from her coffee. "I understand." She looked away for a moment before looking back at me and said, "Maybe you need to talk to someone who knows how you feel."

"I don't know anyone who knows how I feel."

"Are you sure about that?"

I looked at her and realized she's right. I do know some people who know how I feel. I smiled at her. "Thanks, Mrs. Wilcox."

"You're welcome, sweetie. Now, why don't you let me put some of these cookies in a container for your brothers and sisters."

When I came home, my parents were waiting for me outside with my mom holding my baby brother Parker. They both looked up when I stopped in front of them. "I'm sorry, Mom," I said.

She smiled at me. "It's fine, Brian, but I don't want you to do that again. Understand?"

I nodded my head.

"Good, now because you left while you were doing the dishes, I had to make Tara finish the rest and you're doing tonight's dishes."

I rolled my eyes, but I nodded my head again.

"Good. Now let's go back inside," Dad said.

After that, I talked to the people who knew what I'm going through. Like Mrs. Wilcox, they told me I can't stay in the past. They told me talking to someone helps and I needed to focus on the present. They also said I probably need to spend some time with myself and to think about the people around and how they feel.

I looked myself in the mirror again and sighed, still thinking about how pathetic I'm being right now. I've been doing a little better for the last three weeks. I've been having some alone time and focusing on my school work and my friends and family. Why am I suddenly feeling like this again? What is because I was scared Chris was going to get hurt again?

"Hey, Brian."

I looked back to see Tristan and Spencer at the doorway. "You coming?" Tristan asked.

I sighed. "Yeah, I am." I walked out of the bathroom with them just as the bell rang. I groaned, knowing that I didn't eat my lunch.

I got everything out of my locker for my next class. As I closed my locker door shut, I saw Chris standing there with his friends. He was laughing and he put his arm around Seth as they went to their next class. Oh, how I wish he would put his arm around me.

"Aww, isn't it that cute?"

I turned to see Gabriella standing there, with a smug look on her face. "Brian, let's face it. You two are never going to end up with each other anyway."

I stepped forward to her and she stepped back until her back hit the lockers. "You need to learn to keep your mouth shut," I said.

Her eyes widened. "I'm...I'm not afraid of you," she stuttered.

"Really, cause your face says so otherwise."

I smirked when she opened her mouth really wide. "Bye, Gabi," I said, calling her least favorite nickname.

I can hear her scowl just as I went to class. That felt really good.

♥️♥️♥️

Feel free to comment if you like.