The Covid-19 Diaries - Part 1

10th March, 2020
"Yes, Covid-19 is out there, with lockdowns everywhere. So I'd like to end with a few final words from Martin Luther King Jr. 'The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy'. Have a good day everyone, and Wish you a happy Holi!". As he ended his speech and people dispersed from ground, I closed the balcony door and retrieved to my bed.

"Charismatic" is defined by him. Everyday I see him at his home from my balcony, and I want to become like him. The way he speaks just sways people and hypnotizes me. My mind speaks volumes, but mouth goes dumb in front of people. So I always look up to him, silently watching and imitating him from a distance.

23rd March, 2020
Lockdown phase 1, only essential services were allowed. People were panicking for supplies. He was one of the few who maintained sanity. He controlled the crowd rationed supplies for everyone and was able to do so with 0 incidents. He was completely untouchable.

7th May, 2020
Another lockdown extended, the exodus of migrant workers and the economy slumped. People adapted to remain "locked" inside their homes. And he was jobless. There were no public events, no one even wanted to pay him to speak. Every business, every company was salvaging money to keep their heads above water. But he was still going strong. Probably he had good investments. So lucky, I thought.

15th August, 2020
Unlock 3.0 is finally announced. 5 months of hearing daily infections crossing new heights, people just gave up. Some gave up hope, some gave up on believing Covid-19 existed at all. Everyone in our society wanted to hear the man today. Get inspired. See a glimmer of hope, but he was broken, mentally. With no money and a family to feed, it was the burden of responsibility that finally broke him.

Today
I went to his home... And I have no idea what to say.

"Hey, I live in tower 3, right there", I said, pointing finger to my home from his window. "Sorry I showed up without informing"
"Oh! It's ok, come in come in, have a seat"

I sat down in one of the most simplest houses I have ever seen.

"So what made you come here?" he asked.
"I... " and I started choking. After taking deep breaths, and chugging the whole glass of water, I could finally utter "I... I really missed your speeches, Independence day, Gandhi Jayanti, you were nowhere to be seen...".
"Oh.., yeah I've been really busy lately and it's killing season for jobs out there.". He smiled.
"I know. It's like everyone has been thrown inside a dark gulf to fend for themselves. But the last thing I want is to feel alone in the gulf.".
"😂😂 Millennials", he chuckled, "You know the problem now isn't pandemic or joblessness or even lockdowns. Problems is you 'Millennials', 'Gen-Zs'"
"What.. How?"

"Having grown up in an environment of instant gratification, the feeling of always being connected and cherry on top, corporates seeding the idea that you'll-get-what-you-want has made you loose patience. Obviously you are not alone to blame, but hey, even after 12 Lakh deaths, you couldn't sit your ass at home for 14 days."

Thoughts started spiraling in my head, like getting sucked in a black hole.

"But this is such a stressful time, how do you cope with that?" I asked.

"Same way we coped with stress, by not finding escapes in devices but in relations, real relations. Interact with people, get out of your comfortable zone, argue with people, consume less, and build patience."

"Well... Thanks, I suppose." I said.

This is just my opinion, because it does feel like only if people could have conformed for 14 days, we wouldn't have arrived at this moment. "Boomers" have been through worst times, their struggle lasted for years. It's a shame we couldn't be at home for 14 days or wear a mask.