24

After several hours of walking, Itachi and I stopped at a large building. The roof was curved-red, and there were several stone walls above it. I saw a symbol of the Uchiha clan engraved on one of them.

"We're here" Itachi said. "This place is the headquarters of the Uchiha clan". He led me in and we sat there, side by side.

"I actually didn't just bring you here for a walk" Itachi said suddenly. "I was... Well, I mean I was kind of hoping that we could... Talk"

Itachi was a little different from usual. Usually he will say something clearly, this is the first time I've heard him haltingly. Itachi cleared his throat and shifted his weight awkwardly. I gave him a small smile, not wanting to rush him. Whatever he wants to talk about, it's obviously important to him.

Itachi sighed. "I'm sorry. I don't really know how to do this" he apologized. "It's been a long time since I've opened up to someone like this, and this isn't something I've really talked about before..."

And that's when he told me about everything. About his village. About his clan. The bitterness in Itachi's voice told me all I need to know. Even though it happened a while ago, it had obviously left a painful wound.

I couldn't talk and couldn't hold back my tears. I knew he had his reasons, but I didn't know that the reality was this bitter. The truth about him was painful. Too painful. 

He sacrificed everything.

He carried all the burdens alone.

He was suffering alone.

He gave everything but received nothing in return except hatred, anger and immodesty.

He received disrespect as a reward for honor.

He accepted hate as the payment for love.

How could such a good person suffer so much? This isn't fair. Life isn't fair.

I wrapped my hand around his neck and I could feel his body tighten.

"(Y/N)...?"

"You..." I'm trying to talk between sobs. "...You must be tired"

I felt Itachi's body weaken in my arms. "...yes"

His hands wrapped around my body, and I could feel him resting his head on my shoulder. Itachi's body trembled.

He cried on my shoulder.

Seeing him like this broke my heart. I tightened my hug, hoping this could transfer some of the burden that was borne by him to me. I don't know how many minutes have passed. I let go of my hug and ran my hand through his cheek, wiping the traces of his tears. Itachi closed his eyes, allowing himself to enjoy the moment.

"Why don't you tell your brother about this??" I asked.

"Sasuke shouldn't know about this"

"Why??"

"He will come to kill me in the future"

 "No" I quickly replied. Just thinking about it gives me goosebumps. "I won't let that happen"

"(Y/N)" Itachi sighed. "This is why we can't be together. We have no future"

"I know that the future seems blurry right now, but I'll be right beside you until it all becomes clear again"

"(Y/N)-"

"Itachi" I snapped. "I won't let you die" I looked at him in the eyes.

Itachi sighed. "You need to"

"You don't deserve this, Itachi. Known as a criminal, no one knows the pain you went through, no one acknowledged your sacrifice..."

"I don't need to be acknowledged by anyone, (Y/N)" he smiled.

He has a heart of gold.

"Itachi, please..." my tears fell again and Itachi wiped them away. Then, he put his forehead on mine and closed his eyes.

"Could we stay like this for a little while?" Itachi asked.

"Mhm" I hummed and closed my eyes. Even though my eyes were closed, tears still flowed out.

"Itachi?"

"Hm?"

"None of this is your fault. I don't care what you think, but you deserve to live a happy life and I'll try my best to make that happen"

"Really, what did I do to deserve a girl like her? What did I do to deserve such kindness? Those warming words, her hug and her love?" Itachi though.

Our foreheads parted and I lowered my head, wiped the remnants of my tears.

"(Y/N)" he called me. I raised my head and met his dark orbs. Itachi smiled and tapped my forehead.

I touched my forehead. "What was that for??" I asked.

"There are some things that cannot be described in words" he answered.

I smiled at him. I don't understand why he did that, but I feel it has a deep meaning. And I liked that.

.

.

.

Helloo! This is part 24, I hope you enjoyed it!:D

This story has passed 7k reads, I'm genuinely grateful for all of you!<3

I can't wait to see you again!^^

-JuveeMoon-