6. Normal

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

That first night back in my old bed, in our cold room, with the other kids who mumbled in their sleep... I had never felt so lonely in my entire life. I couldn't sleep. I had two blankets on, but I was still cold. It wasn't the same than having three wolves in the bed with me. The noises the kids made were almost unfamiliar, unnatural.

I probably would've lost my mind trying to fall asleep, if it weren't for the tiny ball of light that kept me company, rolling all over my pillow, climbing up my shoulder and jumping off my head. Jaden, too, was restless – I could feel it in my soul. Even his Echo couldn't stop moving even for a second.

Finally, in the early hours of the morning, I fell asleep watching that light, but too soon, I was woken up when the caretakers came in to wake up the kids.

"I'm sorry, Ollie," Miss Washington smiled apologetically when she spotted me awake. "We'll just grab the kids so you can go back to sleep."

I figured I wasn't going to fall asleep anytime soon, but I knew that going downstairs with the freshly awoken kids would only give me a headache, so I nodded and decided to stay under the covers instead.

"Is Natalie here?" I asked.

"She left an hour ago to run some errands," Miss Washington said. "But she'll be back before noon."

"Okay."

I watched her and her co-worker usher the grumpy kids out of the room, and when they closed the door, and silence fell, my ears continued to ring for a good moment. Kids were noisy.

I missed my wolves...

With a sigh, I dug myself deeper under the covers, and turned to look out the window. It was still dark, but I could still see the first hint of sun on the horizon. Jaden's spirit was calm now, so he must've fallen asleep at some point. I wished I could go back to sleep as well, but I was right about not being able to anymore, so I just watched the sunrise.

The day was uneventful, thankfully. I was really tired the entire day, and mainly just watched after the kids in the living room. Of course, I tried to call Jaden a few times during the day, but our calls always ended up being just him running around his territory to find good service. Or at least some kind of service. At least I got to hear his voice, proof that he was still alive and well, and his territory was safe.

Natalie spent the entire day with us even though she was supposed to have a day off. That was great. Even though we couldn't talk freely with all the kids around, it was still comforting to have her around. I probably would've started doubting how real my life actually was if it wasn't for her.

I mean, I still hadn't ruled out the brain tumor...

A harbinger of Hades... The harbinger of Hades. I had part of his infected soul in me, I fought alongside the goddess Selene and my boyfriend was a werewolf. There were evil shadow monsters after my life, a supernatural cop prowling about, and I could talk with my dead father face-to-face whenever I wanted.