23. Family

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

I sat on my bed, holding a pair of socks in my hands. I just stared at them. It was really quiet in the room, since the caretakers had taken the kids to play outside. To give me peace. Out of all the surreal moments I'd had lately, this was the oddest. The entire week had been the same.

I turned to look at my bag on the floor and finally put the pair of socks in it. There. All packed. Everything I owned was stuffed in two bags and one box.

After I closed them all, I stood up and turned to look around the room I'd lived in for years. All that time, I had dreamed of the day I'd leave for good and never come back. And this was it now. This time I wouldn't come back – I knew it. I had moved out several times, only to find myself back in this place, but this was actually it.

I was never coming back.

I stepped to the window and looked outside. The kids were having a lot of fun, and I felt bad for the caretakers since the yard was turning really muddy. I laughed a little as I watched them, but then turned my gaze up to the sky.

"I spent so many nights right here, watching the moon, wishing that someone would come take me home," I spoke quietly, and Cedric appeared next to me.

'I remember,' he spoke softly. 'I remember all those times someone gave you a home, but...'

"They always returned me," I whispered. "They all got fed up with me... Everyone said I was crazy..."

'That's because of me...' Cedric said in sadness.

"No! Don't you blame yourself for that," I told him sternly. "You and all the other spirits gave me company and comfort for so many years until..."

'Until that incident happened.'

"Yeah... But none of it was your fault," I said. "I didn't belong with any of them. I belong with my own kind."

'With Natalie and Mike,' he said, sounding more cheerful now. 'And I get to hang out with everyone instead of hiding inside you!'

I smiled at him. "Exactly. We get to be ourselves, with people who understand us. No more hiding."

A few moments later, I was ready. I picked up the box and took it outside the room before coming back for the bags. Mike was waiting for me by the stairs, and he hurried to help me with a smile on his face.

"You got everything?" he asked.

"Yeah, though I'm sure Natalie can grab the rest of the stuff I most likely forgot," I said with a smirk – my excitement started bubbling inside me once again.

"Yup," he said as we walked down the stairs. "They're in the office – go say hi while I take these to the car."

I wasn't sure who he meant by them, but I made my way to the end of the hallway without asking. I knocked on the door and waited for someone to come open it.