20. Talisman

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

I had a fun day with the werewolves, so when it was getting dark, and Natalie and I had to leave, I felt sad and miserable again. I let myself dream of moving in with Natalie and having all three of my wolves stay the nights at our place. That thought cheered me up right until I remembered the damn meeting on Monday.

To distract myself from it, I asked Natalie about the poor people who had been possessed, and how they were doing. Apparently, the infestations were almost defeated, and the carriers would only need a treatment or two to get rid of it completely. That made me feel so, so much better.

I spent the rest of the evening helping around the group home, mostly playing with the kids until they went to bed. Natalie stayed there too for a while, but she eventually had to leave.

"I'll come visit you tomorrow," she promised, hugging me tightly at the entrance.

"You don't have to – it's your day off," I chuckled, but I was still glad she offered to come.

I mean, now that I knew I had a possibility to move in with her and Mike, it had gotten a lot more unbearable to have to stay at the orphanage while she went home. I really wanted it to be my home too...

"There is no other place I'd rather be than here with you," she whispered in my ear.

"You're making me cry," I noted, and she chuckled.

"It won't take long until you can come home with me," she promised me, pushing me an arms-length away to see me.

I really, really hoped so. Just one evaluation. Only one tiny little evaluation... I only had to prove I wasn't insane. Piece of cake.

I just couldn't let my hopes up, no matter what. After all this time... I just couldn't. I'd gotten my hopes up so many times before.

"You know what? I'll teach you how to make a protective talisman tomorrow," she said. "It's kind of like the wards, but smaller. I'll bring enough ingredients so the kids can make them for themselves too."

"Sounds awesome," I said truthfully. "We need all the protection we can get."

"My thoughts exactly. And we can have a fun craftsmanship today together!"

I smiled at her. "I'd like that."

She returned my smile and hugged me again. "Try to get some rest, will you? And call me if you need anything, all right?"

"I will," I promised, and soon, she left.

I hung out with the night shift caretakers for a bit, but I was getting tired after spending the entire day outside, so I climbed upstairs. While I was brushing my teeth, trying to be as quiet as I could so I wouldn't wake up the kids, I felt the peacekeeper somewhere in the city.