35. Spark

-Jack-

-Jack-

There was nothing we could do right now. Everyone kept telling us to rest, so after we ate, I decided to do just that and retreated into the guestroom. Arch, of course, followed me. I went to sit down on the edge of the bed, while he took his place by the window.

I thought the atmosphere was awkward. I felt awkward. I had nothing to say, and the silence was soon getting on my nerves.

I gathered my courage and looked up at Arch, still not knowing what to say, but he didn't seem too bothered as he leaned against the wall with his arms crossed on his chest. I forgot I was supposed to say something as I watched his beautiful features and his messy, overgrown mohawk hanging on his shoulder.

Then he blinked, and his eyes turned white. It was somehow freaky and eerie at the same time.

"What do you see?" I asked quietly.

"A lot," he replied softly.

"Do you know how to use that ability?"

"It's... It's the same as my old ability – I learned how to use it years ago, but this... It's stronger. I can see... Lines... Dots... Ripples."

"Okay...?" I muttered as I moved to sit in the middle of the bed, facing him. "Tell me more."

He chuckled, turning his head in my direction, but I wasn't sure he actually saw me.

"There are hundreds... Thousands... Millions of connections all around me. Like a thick web. I can see which ones are connected with me, and threats that are directed at me. They are making ripples on the web. Like..."

He closed his eyes and lifted his hand, his fingers moving in the air like he was playing with invisible strings.

"This here is directed at me," he said, but I saw nothing under his index finger. "A direct threat. The source of it is far, far away. They want my Vision."

"How many threats are there?"

"This one is directed at me, the others are... more aimed at us. Hundreds of them..."

I grimaced at his words. "So how is that ability useful to us? We already know we're in danger."

"The ripples are like... Like echoes from the actions that haven't yet happened. The stronger it gets, the closer it is. I can predict when it happens. I've always been able to predict when the ice breaks under my feet or a deer is about to jump in front of my car."

"Okay, that sure is handy," I agreed. "So you could dodge attacks in battle?"

"Let's test it. Throw something at me."

He still kept his eyes closed as I tried to see something to use. I had nothing in hand, so I took off my shoe, and without giving him a warning, I threw it at him.