19. Dreams

-Jack-

-Jack-

I spent the day roaming the forest, trying to stay away from everyone while still trying to stay inside the territory. There were a lot of people patrolling the lines, so there was no way for me to stay unnoticed. These guys were taking their job seriously, and I couldn't blame them.

I had to be in the furthest parts of the territory, deep inside the forest and far away from the town, when I stopped to smell something in the distance. I wasn't sure what it was, but I didn't like it. It wasn't an animal, that was for sure.

There had to be a patrol close by, so I turned around, sniffing the air for their scent. I wasn't sure if they had spotted the smell already. They seemed to be walking away.

I really didn't want to approach them, but I couldn't go check out the source of smell on my own, so I started jogging after the patrol. A few moments later, I caught up with them. There were four of them, all in their wolf forms, and they gave me curious looks when I walked closer, trying to make myself look small so they wouldn't think I was a threat.

I barked a little and looked back, then at them again. They all turned around immediately and followed me when I started walking back to the place where I found the scent. They caught the smell almost immediately, and three of them went to check it out, while one of them stayed with me.

Maybe I should've continued my way, but I also wanted to see what they would find. I hope it wasn't anything dangerous, since I sure as hell wasn't able to fight. I got nervous as the time passed, though it could've been only a few minutes before one of them came back and changed into his human form.

"There's no one around anymore, but we found a small camp – looks like a troll was passing through," the woman said, turning to look at me with a smile on her face. "Nicely done – we missed it completely."

If their presence hadn't scared the crap out of me, I would've turned into a human to ask more about what they found. Now all I could do was nod and hurry away from the scene. It was still so incredibly hard for me to stay around people I didn't know at all.

But as I was heading back home, I did feel better. I had done something useful, no matter how small my find was. It was odd to feel something positive, especially over something I did. After all this time, after everything Henry had made me do, it was good to know I could still be useful.

When I was close to home, I suddenly didn't feel like staying indoors. I liked being outside in the fresh air, especially now that the weather was getting warmer. I saw the kindergarten up ahead, and several kids playing outside, so I decided to go lay down under the trees to watch them have fun for a moment.

There was something soothing watching the kids play in the snow. I could almost forget there was evil in the world. And keeping an eye on them, even though no one asked, made me feel a bit more useful again.