2. Exhausted

-Jack-

-Jack-

The wind was cold. My little cave couldn't protect me from it. I tried to hide in the corner, trying to stay warm, but my fur couldn't keep it at bay. There was a lot of snow piling inside as well...

I thought about Arch, but the images of him only made me feel colder. I didn't have any happy memories of him... Not a single one... In the ones I had, he looked at me with disgust in his eyes – if he didn't ignore me completely.

How could he ever accept me as his mate? He wouldn't. Oliver was wrong. There was no hope. What difference would it make if I went to talk to Arch? I would only hurt myself more by going to him. Hadn't I suffered enough already? He was not going to accept me, so it would most likely kill me if I had to face him once again. Seeing Arch rejecting me again would only destroy what was left of me.

And there was so little left of me... Oliver kept saying that my spirit was weak, and I could feel it. I could feel every single crack and hole in my soul. I gave my life protecting Arch, and that stupid portal.

So... why was I still alive? So that I could be tortured even more? Life had been nothing but torture for me ever since my mother died. Henry never stopped reminding me how weak I was, and how easy it was to possess me.

I should've died already...

Yet... I was still there. Why was I still there? I should've left immediately after the war was over. There was nothing but pain for me here. Maybe I liked pain...

Or maybe I was still hoping for a miracle.

I gave up trying to fall asleep that night. It was too cold, and I was scared of the horrible nightmares... I stepped out of the cave and looked over the dark beach. The frozen lake was right next to me, only a few feet away from my little nest. The wind was blowing really hard so I started walking towards the forest, hoping I would soon feel warmer.

Oliver did say that Arch wanted to see me. He had asked how I was doing... Was I just too tired, cold, hungry and in pain to think clearly? Should I just talk to him and see what happens? I wasn't going to kill myself, that much I knew already. I would've done it days ago if I really wanted to die.

Oliver also told me that my pack was now living with the Blue Moons and that they were now free from shadows, and recovering. Maybe I could... I don't know... stay with them? I didn't have a place to go, and the cave was really cold. Apparently, there was a bed waiting for me in a warm barn... And food. Actual food, not just rabbits...

But the thought of having to go close to Arch stopped me every single time I considered returning to my pack. I wasn't ready to face him. I really wasn't, that was for sure.

I stopped to take in the scents around me. I could tell that the Blue Moon patrol had been here at some point. I had seen them several times, and they had to know about me since my nest was close to their route. They had left me alone for now, thankfully.