Chapter 30: Arrival at Holcombe Hall

Start from the beginning

"Pensington and Wortham didn't meet until they were at Eton together," James said. "They never knew of each other's existence before then. It's where we all met and became friends."

"My father wasn't one to take part in the social swirl." Wortham shrugged. "The first decade of my life I spent together with nursery maids and tutors."

"Poor little Wortham," Jessica teased. "All alone with no one's braids to pull."

"I never pulled your braids."

"No, you set them on fire."

Wortham shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "That was an accident."

Angel couldn't help staring. "He set your braids on fire?"

"I did not," Wortham said, crossing his arms over his chest while glaring at Jessica. At that moment, he reminded Angel very much of a petulant four-year-old.

"I'm sure he didn't mean to." Jessica chuckled. "We were all playing with candles and he got too close to me."

"Not as smooth with the ladies back then as you are now, eh?" James grinned.

Wortham let out a dramatic sigh and held up his hands. "I concede. I did set your braids on fire, but it certainly wasn't intentional."

"I forgive you," Jessica said with a little laugh. "Just don't do it again."

"It's what, almost ten years ago?" Wortham said with a dark look at her. "I assure you that my finesse has quite improved."

The comment made Jessica blush, and she quickly turned her head towards the window. Nudging Angel with her elbow, she pointed outside. "Look, there's the lake."

Leaning across her friend to look outside, there was indeed a small lake with its blue water sparkling in the summer sun. She could easily imagine the Howertys as children running into it, splashing each other and having swimming contests.

"The weather has been good so far this summer," Jessica said. "I bet the water is warm enough for us to swim."

"I'll warn my father so he can post guards," Wortham muttered.

"Do you swim, Angel?" Jessica asked, ignoring the earl.

"No, I never learnt how."

"You didn't?" James stared at her.

She shrugged. "No one was there to teach me."

"Don't worry. We'll teach you," Jessica promised.

"Pensington can provide private tutoring," Wortham said, making both Angel and Jessica blush and James glare. "What?" he said innocently. "I'm sure he could."

"I think Pensington and I should reconsider allowing our sisters to be in your presence," James muttered.

Wortham laughed. "I'm not that bad."

"No comment."

Turning to Jessica, Wortham gave her one of his most charming smiles. It rather amazed Angel that her friend didn't faint. The man really had a compelling smile. If she'd not been in love with Nathaniel, she wasn't certain that she wouldn't have ended up with a crush on the roguish earl.

"You don't mind my company, do you, sweetheart?" he asked Jessica while still smiling at her.

Jessica didn't faint, but she seemed flustered. "I... Well..." She stopped herself short and scowled as Wortham winked at her. "You are a scoundrel, Jacob Hurst, and you know it."

"You wound me, my lady." He touched his chest above the heart. "I am merely misunderstood."

A very unladylike snort was the only response to that statement.