Chapter 27: A Good Evening

Start from the beginning

"I doubt it," Angel said, returning the smile before turning to him. "You don't mind, do you?"

She looked so anxious and adorable that he would have been hard-pressed to say no even if she'd asked him to cut off his right arm.

"Of course, they can stay," he mumbled. "For as long as they want. You might regret it though. My sisters can be quite a handful."

"We're a handful?" Jessica scoffed. "That is nothing compared to what you are."

Angel beamed. "I think I will love it."

Aunt Jane leaned over and gave her a hug. "I know it's not official until you've declared yourself before a priest," she mumbled. "But welcome to the family."

"Thank you," Angel whispered, her eyes moist.

He was glad his family liked her as well as they did. Contrary to many of his acquaintances, he was actually quite close to his family, and that they liked the woman he was marrying made his life a lot easier. Things were turning out well. If only time would speed up so he could get married already, everything would be perfect. The interlude in the garden had only reminded him of how desperately he wanted Angel, and it had taken him quite a while to calm the fire raging in his body after she left with Wortham. As much as he was loath to admit it, it was probably a good thing that the earl had interrupted them because he wasn't entirely sure he would have had enough sense to stop kissing her.

When he'd brought her outside, it hadn't only been to kiss her. There was something he wanted to give her, but she had looked so lovely and delectable that he couldn't keep his hands off her. Just like Gowthorpe had feared. The irony. But that reminded him he still hadn't given her the gift.

His aunt stood, hiding another yawn. "I believe it is time for us to retire," she said before walking out of the ballroom.

Everyone fell into step behind her, but at the foot of the stairs, Nathaniel placed a hand on Angel's arm to detain her. Gowthorpe scowled.

"I only wish to speak with her for a moment," Nathaniel snapped impatiently. "You may sit outside her room and wait for her to come if you wish. It will not take long."

Gowthorpe nodded and continued up the stairs after Aunt Jane and Jessica, leaving Nathaniel and Angel alone downstairs. His first impulse was to take her in his arms again, but he resisted since he knew he very well might not let her go if he did, and his friend would soon be downstairs again if she didn't make it upstairs soon.

"Outside in the garden," he began, but stopped with a grin when she blushed. "No, I mean, I brought you outside for a different reason. Or rather, for a second reason. I definitely wanted to kiss you."

"I wanted to kiss you too," she admitted shyly, her cheeks staining prettily, and he almost reached for her again.

Forcing himself to remember the purpose of keeping her downstairs, he fished something out of his pocket and offered it to her. "I just wanted to give you this."

Lying in his palm was a gold ring. She let out a small gasp and hesitantly reached out to take it. Twirling it between her fingers, she stared at it for a moment. It was a beautiful gold ring with a band of diamonds and emeralds. Looking up at him, her eyes were moist again.

"You didn't have to get me a ring," she mumbled.

"I wanted to," he said and leaned forward to place a kiss on her lips, but straightened immediately afterwards so he wouldn't be tempted to prolong it. Taking her hand in his, he took the ring from her and carefully slipped it on her finger. "It suits you. The colour compliments your eyes."

"Thank you," she whispered.

"My pleasure." He stole another kiss. How could he resist when she looked so adorable? "We had better go upstairs now before your brother comes running to retrieve you."

She laughed. "Yes, I suppose we better."

Placing her hand on his arm, he lead her up the stairs and down the hall to a guest room. As he had expected, Gowthorpe stood in the hallway leaning against the door. Feeling slightly wicked and only wanting to irritate his friend, he bent down to give Angel a last kiss.

"A good night to you," he mumbled.

She smiled and went into her room as her brother moved away from the door.

"I really wish you wouldn't do that," Gowthorpe muttered when the door closed behind her.

"What?" Nathaniel asked innocently.

"Kiss my sister in my presence."

"You had better get used to it, old friend. In two weeks, she will be my wife."

Gowthorpe shuddered. "Please. Don't remind me."

Nathaniel laughed at his friend's disgusted expression. "Good night, Gowthorpe."

~~~~~~