Phone Calls, Part One.

"Your grilled cheeses are the best." Caroline said in between bites. I nodded and took another bite of food.

"So you and Ansel did it?" Caroline asked, shock on her face.

I shook my head vigorously.

"God, no." I sipped my water. "Too soon. We just...messed around."

"And how was it?" Caroline leaned in more. I glared at her and covered my face with my hands.

"You should know i'm gonna ask you stuff like that." Since it was a valid statement, I decided to tell her.

"It was really nice." I took another bite of grilled cheese. Caroline was glaring at me and I just started laughing.

“It was damn near your first time and thats all you have to say?” Her sarcastic tone making me laugh.

“That’s all I have to say.” I answered and with that, Caroline dropped her grilled cheese on her plate and stomped off to her bedroom.

The gears in my brain were turning while I sat at my desk, trying to figure out rhombuses. I pushed the worksheet away from myself and tried to take a break. Polygons were a serious piece of work. The guy across from me laughed.

“Your brain not functioning properly?” He asked me, looking up from his phone. I laughed and pulled out my phone.

“Not for polygons.” My home screen lit up with messages from Ansel.

Ansel:

are your legs tired?

Me:

why do you ask?

Ansel:

bc you’ve been running through my mind all day.

Me:

lmao I should have seen that coming.

Ansel:

yes, yes you should have. so why don’t you and I go out for a late lunch after school?

Me:

definitely. meet you @ our spot.

Ansel:

Okay. see you then. ricky said he wants to meet me though after school. so I’ll be there a little later.

Me:
that’s fine. bye, ans.

Ansel:

bye, baby girl.

“Adios.” I said to my Spanish teacher as I walked out. I walked to the bathroom and fixed my hair, making sure it look okay and not too wild. I pulled my shirt down and fixed my cardigan, then started to walk out when my phone started vibrating in my pocket. Ansel’s picture was on the screen.

“Hello.” I answered and I heard coughs coming from the other end of the phone. I looked around and saw that a lot of the kids had left already, but it made sense it was about an hour after school let out.

“Ansel, are you okay?” Concern filled my voice as I heard more coughs and the sound of something wet coming out.

“Please come and get me.” A voice muttered. “I’m in the parking lot.” He barely got it before he dropped his phone and I sprinted toward the street.