Emergency Cuddles

My phone vibrated on my nightstand, alarming me from my drifting into sleep. I picked my head up off of the pillow and grabbed my phone. Ansel was calling me, since his picture of us two was plastered on the screen. I slid the arrow to the right and put my phone to my ear.

“Hello?” I grumbled, my voice thick with sleep. A sniffle came from the other end of the phone.

“Morgan? Can you come over right now?” Ansel croaked. I glanced over at the clock, seeing it was only 9:30pm.

“Of course.” Ansel started crying, whimpers coming through the phone. “I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

“Okay. I love you.” He sounded so pitiful.

“Whatever’s wrong, its gonna be okay.” I whispered. “I love you more.” I hung up the phone.

I hopped out of bed and tossed clothes into my duffel bag. I grabbed one of the shirts Ansel let me borrow and sweatpants, along with my toothbrush. Once I got down the stairs, I saw my mom cleaning up the kitchen and my siblings were playing Wii Sports.

“Mom, I need you to take me to Ansel’s.” Her head whipped around. “Now.” My mom grabbed the keys and started walking out to the car.

Ansel’s father opened the door, his robe tied around him tight. He had a weak smile on his face.

“Hey, Mr. Elgort.” I gave him a tentative smile, but a scream from upstairs cut me off. It sounded like my name and the voice sounded like Ansel.

“He’s been asking for you since he woke up.” Mr. Elgort stepped out of the way and I ran upstairs, into his room. Ansel was being held by his mother, who was trying to console him. His eyes were watery and he had tear stained cheeks.

“Morgan.” He whimpered. His mother slowly got up and I took her place holding his head in my hands, against my chest. His parents disappeared from the room, going back to sleep.

“It was the worst nightmare.” Ansel muttered, his lips brushing against my skin. His head was on my chest and I was running my fingers through his hair.

“What happened in it?” I whispered, realizing it was almost 3 in the morning.

“Instead of me getting shot, it was you.” Ansel looked up at me, sniffling. “I couldn’t handle that.” I kissed his lips gently and pulled away.

“Nothing bad is going to happen to me.” I stroked the side of his face with my thumb.

Ansel’s voice broke. “You can’t promise that, though.” My fingers got tangled within the hair on the nape of his neck.

“But I can promise that I will do everything in my power to make sure it doesn’t.” I answered. Ansel kissed me again and I smiled.

“Can we switch spots?”Ansel asked. “I want to cuddle with you, but I wanna be on the bottom.”

I rolled off of him and he laid on his back, his head sinking into the pillow. I smiled and straddled him, laying on top of him. I felt his thigh tense a little and quickly relax. My eyes darted to his face and his expression was blank.

“Ansel,” I questioned. “Did you…?”

“No.” Ansel shook his head. “Don’t worry so much.”

“Okay.” I gave in and kissed him. He smiled on my lips and I laid my head back down, tracing patterns on his chest.