Again, I glance to David. He's taken the laptop out by now.

"I'm sorry," I say softly, mindful of our driver.

David hardly acknowledges me. He nods and continues to look unbothered.

I roll my lips together and shift my body to face him. "I know it was stupid, okay?"

He says, "Okay."

"And I shouldn't have tried it."

"You shouldn't have."

I cross my arms and face forward. "I'm trying. I really am."

Finally, he looks to me. My eyes find his. "What are you trying, Brigette? To apologize?"

"Couldn't you be a bit more understanding? I mean, I told you how I felt about all of this."

"Trust," he says. "You'll soon find out how important it is."

"You don't trust me then?"

"No. I don't."

I tell him, "Well, I don't trust you either."

His chest rises and falls as his eyes return to the computer screen. "But you apologize for climbing out the window in the middle of the night in an attempt to run away, am I right? That was the reason behind your talking?"

"Yes," I say stiffly. "I thought it would be better to talk than sit in silence, but I can shut up if you prefer the quiet."

I wait impatiently for him to say something, and when he does, his gaze lifts and he asks, "Would you have gone if I didn't stop you?"

The seriousness of his tone causes my chest to tighten in anxiety. I hold his gaze as everything under my skin churns and shrinks into nothing. My lips part and close. Would I have? In the moment, I really thought I would have, but in the long run, in reality, after the adrenaline fades...

"I don't know," I breathe. "Would I have made it out of town? Probably. I would have gone to Fairmont to catch a bus, and I would take it into the city. I would have gotten on a plane to wherever was available, but those are only plans. I don't know how I would have felt—how guilty, torn. I don't know how the bond would feel at that point."

The Alpha watches me. "So that's what you want?"

He's right. It could be easy.

I could be wrapped in his arms—safe. I could be caressing his cheek as I look up at his handsome face. We could be inseparable. I could be utterly taken by everything he is, entirely absorbed, drowned, lost, consumed.

"I don't know," I murmur as my face grows hot. "You're right, maybe silence was better."

I turn my body back to my door to find any sliver of privacy. If I were at home, in my room, my tears could release and run free. But home grows farther and farther away, and there are no walls to shield my vulnerability from his eyes. There's no place to hide.

I wake in a bed, alone, in a nice room.

I wander the space—my bag is on a chair in the corner of the room. My suitcases and two boxes are along the wall where a portrait of a delicate, white flower hangs as if some lonely woman painted it once in this bedroom.

I wander the hallway of cold, wood floors and intricate paneling against regal, dark emerald paint. There are many doors and a large staircase halfway. The steps wrap around the walls as an antique-looking chandelier hangs down. I travel down the staircase, running my fingertips along the handrail, wondering how I got here when the last thing I remember was being in the car. There is no one around—not even the sounds of people from further in this house.

I search through living rooms, bathrooms, and a dining room. There is a laundry room, a pantry of stored food, a sunroom, and a kitchen. The kitchen is lined with tall, dark green cabinets and centered around a counter island with a white countertop that shines as if chunks of gems are embedded in the stone. There's a charming table by the window for drinking tea or eating breakfast. It's so peaceful that I consider being in a dream.

To the right are a pair of painted French doors that lead outside. I unlock them and step through, examining my surroundings from the porch but seeing nothing except the surrounding forest.

I take a breath of fresh air.

There is the world, right in front of me, yet no one is here to monitor my every move.

Where's David? How long was I asleep for?

"Luna?"

I turn to the sudden voice. A man with the blondest of hair stands in the open doorway to the porch. "Glad to see you've found your way around," he says, "I'm Jeremy. The Alpha has assigned me to be your personal aid as you transition to your new home. Helena will also be around to assist you, however she works mostly in the house."

"Oh. Okay. But do you know where Dav—the Alpha is?"

He steps outside and thinks for a moment. "It's hard to say, but I would guess he's still at the training grounds."

"The what?"

"Where guards and pack members are able to practice or learn combat skills—or means of self-defense for those who are not so interested in sparring, such as myself. Did you not have such things at your home pack?"

"No. I mean, we have guards but nothing crazy. People learn to fight here?"

My supposed aid nods. "Primarily guards and those who have recently had their first shift. The Alpha likes to oversee the processes when he can."

I teeter on my feet. "Why? Is it not safe here?"

"It is quite safe. Because the members learn such skills, the pack maintains a strong reputation. Not many come looking for trouble," Jeremy explains. "I know this may be overwhelming. From what I've heard, your pack is rather different. The Amin bloodline has quite the history."

"I'll have to look into that," I say and head back inside. "So can you show me to the training grounds? I need to see the Alpha."

"He will be back this evening if you are able to wait till then."

"Oh, well I guess I can wait. I just don't know what I'm supposed to do," I admit.

Jeremy smiles. "I can help you unpack your things, or I can take you on a tour of the land. If you're hungry, Helena will be arriving shortly and can make you something to eat. She is here in the mornings and the evenings. The rest of your day is open for you to do as you please; tomorrow we have a few things scheduled, and this weekend Alpha Nicodra will be visiting. The Alpha's meeting with Alpha Nicodra has been long anticipated."

I sigh. "I'm sorry, I don't know anything about, well, anything. My father is a Beta, but I never paid attention when he spoke about news or conflicts. You should know that I'm not prepared for any of this. I'm really the last girl that should be a Luna."

"The Alpha put me in this position for a reason," Jeremy assures me. "He's aware that you are not prepared—who could be? I'm here to help you, guide you, and teach you so you can appear prepared until you are."

"Thank you. I'm sure you'll have your work cut out for you."

He waves me off and asks, "So what will it be?"

"Will you show me around? All I've seen so far is this house."

"That I can do."