Chapter 14

Chapter 14 - Falling for You

After a few more moments of silence as we calm ourselves down, I take Kellin’s hand and lead him back to my car. He nearly trips over his own two feet a few times because he’s so wasted, finally falling into the passenger seat with a sigh. “It’s been a long day,” he says as I start to drive away.

"Tell me about it," I agree.

It’s silent for a few moments, until Kellin says, “I really am sorry. For all that.”

"I know." I reach across and take his hand. "It’s fine."

"It’s not fine. It’s not fine that I got so drunk, and it’s not fine that I scared the shit out of you, and it’s not fine that I’m letting their stupid words get to me, and it’s not fine that I nearly threw myself into oncoming traffic because of that."

I nod, resisting the urge to keep looking at him; I have to focus on the road. “I just don’t want you to get hurt if this keeps up.”

He shakes his head. “The things they say don’t mean a damn thing,” he says, repeating my words back at me and smiling in a way that shows just how intoxicated he is. “I think that’s gonna be my motto from now on,” he says, sounding like he’s starting to drift off. “Thanks for that. Also, thanks for pulling me back. Thanks for being there. I would’ve missed you if I were dead. So…yeah. Thanks…I think I might be a little bit in love with you…wait, what? What am I saying? What are you saying, Kells? I don’t fucking know…” Then I hear him crying again. “What the fuck,” he mumbles. “What the fuck. What the fuck are you doing? Why the fuck are you crying? Fucking weak, fucking pansy, no one gives a fuck about you…”

"I do," I say automatically, squeezing his hand. "I give a fuck about you."

He nods, closing his eyes as the tears continue to slowly and quietly escape. “Oh…okay.”

"Do you want me to drop you off at your house?" I ask.

He shakes his head. “Mom working late tonight…don’t wanna be alone…sorry…”

"Nothing to be sorry for," I reply.

He’s asleep by the time we get back to my house, curled up into a ball, his cheeks still stained with tears. I find myself not wanting to wake him up, so I end up carrying him in bridal style (which, though he’s very light, is quite an awkward position, to say the least). Mike is in the living room, making out on the couch with some blond girl I’ve never seen before, and they both look up at the sound of me stumbling through.

"Whoa," Mike says. "What happened?"

"Emergency," I say quickly. "It’s all good now. Well, relatively speaking."

"Do you need some help?"

I shake my head, though, really, help might be nice. “Nah, I’m good. Just going upstairs.”

The girl raises an eyebrow. “Is this the brother you were telling me about?” she asks Mike.

Mike nods. “That would be the brother.”

"Hi," I say awkwardly, adjusting Kellin’s position in my arms. "I’m Vic. The brother. And you are…?"

"Alysha." She does a little wave. "The girlfriend."

Well, that’s new. “Um, okay. I’d ask when this development occurred, but now’s not exactly the time for small talk, so, uh, I’m gonna skadoodle. Bye.”

Mike and Alysha both laugh so hard they snort as I make my way up the stairs. “Skadoodle?” Alysha repeats.

"Uh, yeah, he’s kinda weird," Mike says. "I understand if you want to break up with me now."