Interlude II

whee so this is the second Interlude which means it will be in Kellin’s POV (as I know several of you have been waiting for that). but it sort of goes back in time (it takes place on the night of the party in Chapter 18, instead of the morning after, where Chapter 18 left off), so you might be a bit confused by the end because of the weird gap. don’t worry, the whole thing will be explained eventually.

Interlude II - I Miss You

Let’s rewind for a moment here.

It’s Friday, the night of the party. I’ve just confessed everything about Oli to Vic, and now I’m pushing through the crowds of people, heart pounding, lungs burning, chest heaving, eyes blurring, head spinning. I think maybe I’ve had too much to drink, but I don’t really dwell on that. I’m too busy searching for Oli, nearly getting sick to the stomach at the thought of him possibly finding out that I snitched. Maybe I can blame the alcohol.

Who am I kidding? I’ve gotten in trouble for less.

I really hope Vic doesn’t chase after me. That’ll just make things worse. They don’t like me hanging out with him, and they’d especially hate it now that we’re no longer dating. They’d say, “What, aren’t we enough for you? You really are a slut. He doesn’t like sluts, remember?”

And then I’d have to once again convince them that, yes, they are enough for me, and then I’d have to let them have their way with me just like I always do. It’s not that bad once you get used to it. I used to think it was fun, actually. I liked getting banged by them all the time. But that was before I started wanting a different kind of long-term relationship, one that wasn’t purely sexual. They’ve always been fine with me doing my job, and they’ve also been okay with my one-night stands. They—specifically Oli—have only ever gotten upset over other long-term relationships. Which is why they hate Vic.

I find Oli in a dark, secluded corner of the basement. “Hey,” I say breathlessly, leaning up against the wall next to him. “I’m here now.”

"Good." He grabs my hand roughly. "Is your house empty?"

"Uh, yeah," I say slowly, only half-aware of what’s going on around me. "Mom works really late most nights."

"Okay. Let’s go." With that, he’s leading me upstairs, and before I can even think to protest, we’re in the car and driving off to my house.

"Where were you, Kell?" he asks casually. "I leave for one minute, and you’re gone."

"I—I saw a friend," I say. "We just started talking." I guess it’s not really a lie.

He nods, and that’s the end of the conversation. We’re mostly silent for the remainder of the short ride, but I can’t stop thinking about Vic. I can’t stop thinking about his lips on mine, the sweet gestures, the words he whispered to me. I can’t stop thinking about our argument on Wednesday and his coldness toward me. I keep wondering what he must think of me now. These thoughts come in drunken waves, and I don’t know how to stop them.

By the time we get to my house, I’m not crying again, but I think I’m close to it. I keep blinking furiously, covering my mouth with my hand and breathing deeply. Oli takes my free hand and leads me up to the front door, using my key to get inside and then heading back the hallway to my room.

It’s only then that he turns to me and asks, “What’s wrong, babe?”

That just makes it even harder. I want Vic to be calling me that.

My mouth moves faster than my mind. “Vic,” I whimper pathetically, lying down on my bed and staring up at the ceiling. “I miss him.”

He just stares at me for a few moments. I don’t know what he’s thinking, and I’m not sure I want to. “Well, sorry to say, but I don’t think he misses you,” he says finally.

I choke back a sob. “I know.”

"I knew it wasn’t gonna last," he continues. "Guys like him never stay for long. It’s just the way things are with you, Kell. I’m the only one who will ever truly accept you, no matter what."

I turn my head to look at him as he’s standing at the edge of the bed. I guess he’s right. “He called me a slut the other day,” I say, curling myself up into the fetal position on my side as I remember the way that word ripped me apart.

"Everyone calls you a slut," Oli points out. "I thought you liked it."

"It was different," I say. "He meant it to hurt me." I close my eyes. "But I still miss him."

"Why?" Oli asks. "He’s obviously an asshole."

"He’s not," I say desperately. "He thought I cheated on him, and lied to him, and took advantage of him…he was so angry. And he had a right to be."

"You need to forget about him," Oli says bluntly. No more sympathy for me.

I open my eyes and just look at him. “I can’t,” I say, dumbly. I can’t think straight; I just keep rambling, spilling my guts. And Oli doesn’t seem too happy with what he’s hearing.

"Well, you will." And then he’s on the bed, climbing on top of me and pinning me down, even though I was already in this position. His demeanor has gone from calm and vaguely comforting to possessive and dangerous. "I’ll make you forget about him, whore," he whispers, pulling roughly at my hair.

I know what this means. I know what he’s getting at. He doesn’t like me talking about Vic at all. It seems that I’ve been a bad little slut, and now he’s going to punish me.

see? confusion!! “but wait, at the end of Chapter 18 Kellin isn’t at his house anymore, where did he go??” I can’t tell you yet. ha.