Chapter 7

NOTE: In case you don’t already know, my laptop broke and now needs to be fixed (I’m currently on my dad’s computer). Until then, updates will be irregular. It could take a few weeks before everything is back on track. Sorry.

Chapter 7 - Shameless

“So,” I say when we finally separate our lips. “Would you maybe want to come over to my place, hang out for a little bit?”

Kellin smiles widely. “I’d love to.” He takes my hand. “I normally walk or hitch a ride from someone else, so I don’t have a car. You?”

"I normally ride with my friends, but they might’ve left without me," I say, glancing over at the nearby parking lot. Surprisingly, Tony’s car is still parked there. "Or not," I add, nodding toward it. "Would you be okay riding with them?"

"Yeah, sure," Kellin says. "They don’t seem too bad."

With that, I lead Kellin over to the car, opening up the backseat. “Hey,” I say, hopping in next to Mike in the middle seat and motioning for Kellin to climb in with me. “Kellin’s coming over to my house. Can he ride with us?”

"Uh, yeah, sure," Tony says. He points at the empty passenger seat. "Jaime had to go do something, but he said to wait for him because it’d be pretty quick."

Kellin raises an eyebrow at that, then shrugs and closes the door behind him.

As if on cue, the passenger side door opens, and Jaime hops in. “Hey,” he says. “I’m here. Sorry about that.”

"It’s fine," Tony replies, starting the car and pulling out of the parking space. "Vic brought his stripper boyfriend with him."

Jaime glances over his shoulder. “Oh, hey, Kellin!” he says, flashing Kellin a friendly smile. “Crash any birthday parties lately?”

Kellin glances at me with a playful smirk. “Funny you should mention that, actually…”

The guys start laughing. “Hey, wait,” I say. “Tony, he’s not my boyfriend.” I turn to Kellin. “Or are you?”

He shrugs. “I don’t know. I guess it was kind of implied? Like, just now, and then you asking me to come over…” He laces his fingers with mine, his cheeks turning red.

"Ew," Mike complains. "Get a room."

"Just don’t look," I reply. Mike rolls his eyes and sighs. I’m not sure if the exasperation is real or fake.

The ride home is pretty uneventful, with Jaime and Mike doing most of the talking, as usual. Kellin seems a bit shy around my friends, though he cracks a joke or makes a comment every now and then, and he’s pretty comfortable with me. But for the most part, he just holds my hand and absentmindedly plays with my fingers like a young child, occasionally sending a smile my way that I think might be meant just for me and nobody else.

Tony stops at my house first. Mike, Kellin, and I hop out of the car and head up to the front door. When we’re all inside, Mike turns to me.

"Vic," he says. "Can I talk to you for, like, two minutes?" He glances at Kellin. "Sorry to steal him from you. Family problem."

"Oh, no, it’s fine," Kellin says, sounding completely sincere.

"Okay, cool. Uh, make yourself at home." Without another word, Mike pulls me into the dining room.

"Did something happen with Mom?" I ask, stupidly. Deep down, I know what this is really about.

Mike shakes his head. “I just—you’re not doing this to spite me or something, are you? I’ve been warning you not to get too close to him, and now I hear that you’re dating him? I mean, if that’s the case, then I kind of want to give him a chance, but at the same time I kind of don’t.”