8. Farewell

'Cauldron.'

'Check.'

'Crystal Phials.'

'Check.'

'Telescope and brass scales.'

'Check and check!'

'Robes, Hat, Gloves, Cloak.'

'Check, check, check and....check!'

'And your books?' Remus asked.

'Standard Book of Spells, A History of Magic, Magical Theory, A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration, One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi, and Magical Drafts and Potions. So...check, check, check, check, check and check!' Ophelia receipted breathlessly, as she checked off the little boxes on the list she had made on some spare parchment.

'And your wand?'

Ophelia beamed, as she ran to grab the Ollivanders Box she had gotten when they purchased it in Diagon Alley, and she opened it to reveal a beautiful wand; Hazel wood with a Unicorn Hair Core and 10 ¾ inches. She ran her hand over it in awe, and went 'Check!' as she smiled and put it away again.

'Well, it looks like you're all set.' Remus smiled, as he waved his own wand and all of her posessions organized themselves neatly into her Hogwarts trunk, and it closed with a snap.

'Looks it.' Ophelia smiled, and she lifted her trunk off her bed and to sit on the floor of her bedroom.

'Well, we'll leave early for King's Cross tomorrow. You know, when I left for Hogwarts, I made my Mum drive me to the Platform two hours early.' He said, smiling, as he sat next to her on the bed.

'Yeah? Why?' Ophelia smiled.

'I was just very concerned about being late, you see. And it was on that first train ride, that I met your Dad. And James, and Lily and Peter.'

'Do you think I'll meet my best friends on the train ride?' Ophelia asked hopefully.

'I dunno. We didn't all get along at first though, so don't be discouraged.' Remus smiled.

'You didn't?' Ophelia asked.

He took a deep breath. 'No, we were all very different. Well, your Dad and James, they were pretty much the exact same person. Loud, slightly annoying, but funny. Lily, she was a tad bossy, but kind from the very beginning. Peter, he was shy. And I was just, very quiet--I read my book the entire way there, and like you, I had read all my textbooks in advance. We couldn't have been more different.'

'So, how did you become friends, then?' Ophelia asked curiously.

Remus took a deep breath. 'I guess, just don't judge a book by it's cover. It's what's inside that matters.'

'That is the most cliche thing you have ever said.' Ophelia laughed.

'Yeah, well, cliches are cliches because they work.' He retorted, while laughing.

After a few moments, their laughter died out, and Remus spoke again.

'I dunno, sweets. Friendships can bloom in unexpected places, with unexpected people but it's a beautiful thing to behold. I don't think you can ever properly describe it. I'm sure you'll make loads of friends. They'd be a fool to not like somebody like you.' He smiled, and leaned over to kiss her on the top of her head.

Ophelia smiled. 'Yeah, I'll just miss Ginger and you, that's all.'

'Zat will not be an issue!' Ginger announced as she strode into the room. 'I'll write every week. Every single week. And you better return my letters, missy.' Ginger scolded as she hopped up onto the bed to sit in between both of them.