82. Apologies That Mend Hearts

Remus and Sirius hadn't spoken in a week. Not a word, despite seeing each other everyday.

Sirius' problem was his avoidance. For the most part, Sirius would stay in the study and retreat to the couch to sleep when Remus had gone to bed; leaving no time to socialize.

Remus' problem was his nerves. He knew he had to apologize, yet by the time he had worked up the courage to say something, Sirius had already left the room. It was that way every time they were in a room together. It was agonizing, and a vicious cycle, really.

The only time they saw each other was during meals, which they still ate together at the dining table. Remus didn't think it was possible to eat every meal with somebody and still not say a word, but the two of them managed to do it, and excelled at it really.

Tonight, Remus had just about worked out an entire apology in his head as they munched on dinner, but by the time he opened his mouth, Sirius had gotten up. He swiped a bottle of firewhiskey from the cupboard as he exited through the back door for some fresh air; something he did quite frequently.

Remus sighed as the door slammed shut, putting down his fork, the spaghetti and meatballs in his bowl suddenly seeming unappealing.

"You ought to talk to him." Ginger offered, wavering slightly in the door frame.

"I'm the last person he wants to talk to." Remus refused, pulling a hand through his sandy brown curls.

"It's been a week." She reminded him.

"I almost did it that time, I swear. I was about to." Remus told her, sighing as he got up and grabbed their dirty bowls and placed them in the sink full of piping hot water, getting ready to wash them the 'muggle way'.

"I'm sure you were." Ginger nodded as she snapped her fingers, the dishes suddenly beginning to wash themselves.

Remus sighed, turning to her, leaning his back against the countertop, "I'll do it. Promise. Just not today."

"It needs to be today." Ginger shook her head.

"Why?"

"Ophelia's written." Ginger cleared her throat, waving a piece of parchment in their air.

"Is she okay? Is Harry okay? Are they hurt? Are they—"

"Harry completed the first task." Ginger cut him off, "They're all okay."

Remus let out a sigh in relief, his heartbeat beginning to even out again.

"Now, I could go and tell Sirius the good news myself." Ginger offered, in a somewhat knowing tone, "But, I thought you would instead."

He shook his head, and she huffed.

"Come on. It's good news, he'll be happy. You just need to talk, and this gives you a reason."

He shook his head again.

"You are so stubborn, you know that?" Ginger sighed, and Remus could only blink, "You have a kid together. You messed up and you need to apologize."

She handed him the letter and a coat she had made appear with a snap of her tiny fingers, "Go make amends. And take that firewhiskey away, he's practically drinking his body weight."

Remus frowned, but wordlessly complied as he made his way over to the back door, hesitating as his hand ghosted over the doorknob.

"You know, I could just—"

"Go." Ginger said gently, and Remus nodded, composing himself, before he swung the door open and was met with the brisk late-November air.

He shut it behind him, closing with a click, as he pulled on his jacket to keep warm. When he turned, he could see the faint outline of Sirius in the moonlight, sitting at the edge of the step, looking out towards the meadow, legs extended before him, a bottle of firewhiskey in his hands.