Chapter 72

After the battle, you went out to eat with the team as per tradition. Tony begged for shawarma as per usual. You all ignored him and went out for Mexican instead. You reminded Tony that you were trying to introduce the Asgardians to as many new foods as possible and always eating shawarma after battles wasn't going to help with that.

You all wandered together toward the restaurant, all in uniform, which had the people pausing to take pictures of your group as they saw you. You held Autumn in your arms and saw that Fenna was at Loki's heels, keeping close to her charge. She was still little and had to trot to keep up with him, but she was clearly happy, her tail wagging as they walked together. You saw in Loki's eyes that something was bothering him. It was also clear in how Fenna was behaving as she was trying too hard to cheer him up. You wanted to ask what was bothering him. You could see the tension in his shoulders and the hardness in his eyes, but you also knew that you couldn't ask. Not in public. Not if you wanted a real answer.

Loki would lie about his feelings in public. He was still too conservative, too withdrawn.

You didn't blame him on that point.

So instead of grilling him and upsetting him, you took his hand in yours. He looked over at you when you did. He wasn't surprised by your touches and gave you a small smile as you squeezed his cold hand in your warm one. You couldn't grill him right now, but you could give him some reassurance that you were there for him. He raised your hand to his lips and kissed your knuckles. He appreciated the gesture. He didn't need words to convey that to you.

When you made it to the restaurant, the staff gave your fox and Loki's wolf a wary look. "No pets?" He tried in a small squeaky voice. He clearly had no idea what he was doing and his order had turned to a question as he spoke it. Loki rolled his eyes, but let you deal with the mortal.

"These aren't pets. They're our familiars. And you can't discriminate against familiars," You reminded him pleasantly. The worker took another look at your group, which consisted of a bunch of hungry Avengers, two of whom were gods who would eat their weight in whatever food they could get their hands on after a battle.

Plus, Tony Stark was there, still in his armor.

They were bound to be paid well if Stark was there. He was notorious for overpaying for services, especially food, especially food for the team.

Needless to say, you were quickly seated at a huge table and food started appearing quickly as well as quite a lot of margaritas. You didn't mind that at all. None of the team minded, even though most of you couldn't get drunk off of normal Earthen alcohol.

You noticed that Loki was getting more and more stressed as the meal and drinking went on. "Should we head home?" You asked him softly. You didn't like how grim he was, how dark, how his concentration was shot. Something was bothering him. You also noticed that something was bothering Thor. He also had that distant look in his eyes and kept having to be brought back to the conversation in the present.

Loki nodded. "Please," he said softly. That dark, distant look was still in his eyes. Something was seriously bothering him.

You nodded and stood, trying to keep your worry to yourself as you scooped up Autumn. "We'll see you guys back at the Tower," you told the group as Loki stood as well and picked up Fenna. He seemed to settle a little when his familiar was in his arms. She was helping with whatever mental or emotional trouble he was having. As was her job.

The team wished you well, albeit a bit drunkenly. You placed your hand on Loki's arm to teleport you both back to the tower. You didn't trust his teleporting ability with his scattered his mind was. You reappeared in Loki's suite. You figured he would be more comfortable there than anywhere else in the tower. It was his safe space, his refuge, especially since it was shielded from anyone but you entering uninvited.

You looked up at him when you arrived and saw his grip on Fenna was too tight, his eyes closed, scrunched with pain. "Lokes? Love? What is it? What's wrong?" You asked, getting more worried as whatever this was continued. You helped Loki sit on his bed so he could hold Fenna on his lap and clutch his head.

"I... I forgot..." he started, his words coming out gasping and pained.

You sat beside him and wrapped an arm around his shoulders, trying to soothe and ground him. "I'm here, Lokitty. Everything's alright. You're safe," you soothed while he fought to even out his breathing. Once his breathing calmed, you continued. "What is it you forgot?"

"How loud their voices are~" he mewled and shifted so he could wrap his arms around you, so he could clutch onto you to ground himself.

"Whose voices?" You asked gently as you held him in your arms and stroked his hair soothingly.

It took a long time for Loki to answer. He seemed to have to steel himself for it as he held onto you, taking in your scent and presence. He looked up at you. The look in his eyes had changed to hope and wonder. He looked like a little boy at Christmas. It still took another moment before he could finally find the words to explain. "I hear them again. Hear their prayers. It's been... centuries. More than centuries. But... my worshipers, I... I have worshipers again..."