Chapter 56

"That is not a cat," Strange insisted as he stared at you on Loki's shoulder. You gave him a kitty grin in reply, purring softly. Loki scratched behind your ears to make you purr louder.

"Sure purrs like a cat," Loki replied with a smirk. He enjoyed tormenting Strange. It seemed to be one of his pastimes. He always claimed that Strange was a second rate sorcerer, an amateur from Midgard who pretended he was stronger than he was. It really wasn't a very nice thing for Loki to say, but he did it anyway, no matter how many times you scolded him. He couldn't say it about you too since you were over 500 years old and had been studying magic your entire life.

You could also occasionally kick his ass (or trap him in a time-out ball) and had new spells to teach him.

Plus he loved you.

And wanted to marry you.

Which you still hadn't completely come to grips with yet.

You didn't think that Loki hated Strange. He enjoyed teasing and tormenting the Sorcerer Supreme. In his weird way, he might actually be trying to be friends with the Midgardian wizard. In a very weird way.

You expected nothing less than weird from Loki.

"It's not," Strange insisted. Poor delusional man.

Loki rolled his eyes. You couldn't actually see him rolling his eyes from where you were perched, but he rolled them so hard you could feel it in his entire body. Which meant it was a massive eyeroll. "Fine. You caught me. It's a bilgesnipe," Loki replied, his voice absolutely dripping with sarcasm. Since bilgesnipe were giant moose-like creatures, it was clear you weren't one.

Strange glared at Loki for that bullshit answer. You flicked Loki with your tail with a soft hiss, reminding him to behave. You were here to help Strange, not antagonize him. Sure, Loki could mess with him a little for the lols, but only a little, and Strange was getting actually angry now. "I know what a bilgesnipe looks like and that isn't it," Strange growled at Loki, clearly not in the mood for game that day.

Loki huffed. "Since your powers of perception have clearly not abandoned you in your hour of need, perhaps I should turn you into a cat so you will know what one is, as you clearly are incapable of identifying this one," Loki grumbled. He was already here as a favor to Strange. He didn't need this interrogation as well on top of it.

"Loki..." you said warningly in cat. He was supposed to be behaving.

Loki sighed and scratched behind your ears. "Only because I love you, darling," he said gently and turned back to the flabbergasted strange more civilly. "This is Y/N," he explained to Strange and then told him the story of what had happened to you on Asgard. You could tell by his voice that he was tired of telling the story.

You were tired of hearing it and settled comfortably on Loki's shoulder so you could doze off while he told the story again. Your healing, drained magic, and being stuck as a cat made you tired all the time, so you cuddled on Loki's shoulder while he talked to Strange.

Loki finished talking and Strange did a double-take before he burst out laughing at the absurdity of the situation. You yowled at him for being an ass and raked your claws across his face.

He yelped in pain and stepped back while Loki pulled you off of his shoulder and into his arms, cradling you against his chest to protect you from Strange's retaliation. Luckily, Strange's retaliation was limited to just curse words.

Loki sighed and looked down at you. "And you scold me to behave..." he grumbled and with a gesture, healed the scratches on Strange's face. "You deserved that," he informed the sorcerer. "It is not kind to laugh at my lady's challenges. You know what she's been through and now has to heal from essentially a piece ripped from her soul," Loki told him coldly.

Strange nodded and looked abashed. "I'm sorry, Y/N. That was insensitive. It was just so... absurd,"

You couldn't fault Strange on that. It was absurd.

And somehow made perfect sense at the same time.

"What did you need our assistance with?" Loki changed the subject, wanting to get this over with so he could get you home. This was far more peopling than Loki ever had to do on Midgard and he was clearly tired of it. He threatened to defend you himself if anyone in the sanctum spoke ill of you again.

Strange needed help with a spell and figuring out how to teach one of his students that just wasn't getting the lessons. You and Loki helped him together and spent the rest of the afternoon in the sanctum.

And no one dared to make fun of you again while in Loki's hearing. Which was the wisest decision anyone could have possibly made.