Chapter 70

Your afternoon teaching Loki to fly a broom was cut short when the alarm sounded through the tower. The team was all out on various missions, even Thor was out without Loki. It was strange for Thor to go out without Loki, but it did happen on occasion. The brothers needed time and space from each other mostly so Loki didn't get homicidal and stabby. Thor preferred to not be stabbed by his brother whenever possible.

You couldn't remember where everyone had gone offhand. You didn't track their schedules. That was Jarvis' job. Your job was to get to the battle as fast as you could to help. That was everyone's job now that the alarm had sounded.

You looked to the nearest wall "Jarvis? What's going on?" Since you were in one of the public rooms, Jarvis could turn any wall into a screen to display any information you needed to know. You landed your broom and Autumn ran over to you. Loki was already on his feet again with Fenna. You hadn't expected him to stay in the air when the alarm went off. You were both looking at the wall where Jarvis displayed the scene of monsters attacking the city. Again.

You were getting really tired of Hydra's shit and their stupid monsters attacking all the time. You weren't sure what their end goal was with all the attacks, but they kept attacking, kept trying to get past the Avengers.

You had a feeling it would be worse now that Sera was gone, now that they thought New York less well defended, since there was no dragon defending it.

You would just have to prove them wrong.

You gripped your broom tighter as your armor shimmered into place. "Mount up, Lokitty," you said. It looked like the battle was within flying distance of the tower, but too far to teleport.

Loki paled and shook his head. "No way in Hel," he told you firmly.

"It's too far to teleport," you protested. You'd both be drained if you tried it.

"I can't fly that well yet and we both know it, plus there's no way Fenna can fly, magelet," he insisted just as firmly. He wasn't backing down and you didn't have time to argue. Plus, he was right. It was annoying when he was right, but Fenna wasn't trained to fly and you couldn't fly all three of them, even in animal form.

You mounted your broom and whistled to Autumn to hop up to balance on the straw behind you. She was your familiar and would know instinctively how to balance there while you flew.

Loki's eyes widened, concern and worry flooding his expression. "Magelet... what are you up to?" His voice was nervous. You knew he trusted you, he wouldn't agree to marry you if he didn't, but that didn't stop him from being nervous.

"Trust me, Lokes," you replied and summoned a ring from your dimensional pocket. "I got this from Strange. I don't use it often, it's a different type of magic than what either of us usually use..."

Loki watched you slip on the sling ring and nodded. He recognized it as well. You were both over at the Sanctum often enough that he knew Strange's type of magic well, even if he did look down on it. He relaxed and reached a hand down to Fenna. "Get ready, dearheart," he told his familiar. He wouldn't risk his familiar, but he wouldn't dare leave her behind either. They were part of each other now and would fight side by side. Fenna shifted position and you could see the change in her as she bared her fangs. She was ready for the battle ahead. Loki nodded to you when his armor had shimmered into place.

You balanced on your broom and held your hands out in front of you. You held one steady and made a circular motion with the other, the one with the sling ring. It took focus to use the strange, unnatural, magic, but you found the spark and found the power and soon the portal sparked to life in front of you, opening onto the battle.

"Go, I'll be right behind you," you told Loki. He nodded and rushed through the portal with Fenna at his heels.

You dropped your hands to your broom and zoomed through after him, getting through the portal before it shut behind you. Autumn remained perfectly balanced on the straw of your broom.

You flew above the battle, surveying what you were getting into. It was only you and Loki there so far. Monsters and Hydra agents attacked. They had picked a time when the team was scattered, which was concerning if they'd done it intentionally. They had to have done it intentionally.

You wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to diminish the Avengers' standing with the people, make them doubt that you could protect them without a dragon.

You would just have to prove them wrong.

You saw the same determined look in Loki's eyes. He still felt he had to make up for the battle of New York, despite it not being his fault that he'd been mind controlled and forced to attack.

Let them see just how powerful a god and a witch could be when they had something to fight for.