Chapter 2

Inwe raced through the trees with sincere concern. She had known for some time that Elladan had longed for the company of her friend, and that Merewen returned his favours, but why had they chosen today of all days, and this place of all places to lose themselves from her and Elrohir? She struggled to fight the panic that overcame her and continued to search. In her desperateness, she called out her friend’s name.

I heard a shout and sat straight up, Elladan had been speaking at the time and had likely not heard my friend’s call. I put a finger to his lips and silenced him long enough to hear the cry again. I returned the call and rose to my feet to face the direction from whence it came.

Suddenly, from the cover of the trees, something lunged into focus. Startled, I screamed and fell backward; my eyes opened wide in fear and panic at having been caught off guard. I watched the creature come closer and swiftly raise its weapon above its slimy figure to bring it down upon my body, but suddenly Elladan was there fending off the creature, and I felt hands on my arms. I let out a piercing scream before I realized that it was Inwe and Elrohir. I stood, and we fled, though I tried to hold back, reaching out for Elladan. Just when our lives began to connect, suddenly there was something threatening to take him from me.

I glanced over my shoulder as I mounted only to see him yell for me to go and turn back to face the onslaught of Orcs.

We reached the gates of Rivendell after leading them in circles, in hopes that they would lose our scent and not follow us back to the gates. We needed to find our teacher, Elladan and Elrohir’s father. Inwe led us to the gardens where Elrond was and he stood up, sensing our distress, and Elrohir spilled everything to him as I continually checked over my shoulder for my lost love.

I did not hear anything that was said until I caught sight of someone approaching. It was not Elladan.

“My Lord, there are foul creatures abroad.”

“Send our archers and warriors. They are Orcs. Watch for my son.”

The soldier looked at Elrohir and then to Elrond, understanding. He only nodded and turned to leave.

“Merewen.” My own name caught my attention. “I have… received a summons. Your father wishes you to return to Mirkwood.” I turned around and looked blankly at my mentor. “He has claimed that there is an… unfulfilled duty to which you must turn your attention.”

My eyes went blank, and I was speechless. “You expect me to worry about this now?” I cried. “Elladan is out there, he is alone, and we just left him! We have to help him!”

Inwe rested her hand on my shoulder. “He is fine, Merewen. Worry not.” I let out a frustrated breath of air and spun to leave.

“Where are you going, child?” Elrond asked.

“To do something, when no one else will.”

I closed my mouth so as not to say something snide, and returned to my chambers to retrieve my bow. I ventured into the woods, taking care to tie back my hair and walk quietly. I could smell them, I could feel their presence in the woods now that I sought for it, and I could pinpoint their exact locations simply from the sounds they made.

I spun silently and pulled an arrow from my quiver, drawing it back, and finally letting it release into the trees. I heard a cry from one of the creatures and knew I had hit my target. Knowing that the Orcs would head my way, I leapt onto the lowest branch of the nearest tree and pulled myself to safety of their eyes.

From the cover of a few leafy branches, I saw a few, six or seven, come toward me looking around with weapons drawn. I slipped farther up the tree and noiselessly pulled another arrow. I shot it to my left, onto the ground, which made a noise, to get their attention. A few of them scattered, and as they ran, I picked them off. The cries of their comrades increased their fear, and many of them ran away from Rivendell. When I felt I was safe, I jumped from my branch and tried to find Elladan. Could it be possible that he was still back where we had left him? Could he have been hurt, killed?

I tried to keep calm, but I could barely focus, my worry for him was so intense. I made a call, something he and I used occasionally, a birdcall, and waited to hear the response. When there was none I called again, to finally hear something, a weak whistle. I turned and ran toward the sound and finally found myself staring at my wounded prince.

I fled to his side and examined his body for wounds. There was a gouge in his stomach and an arrow in his leg.

“Come, we must get to you Elrond, this is beyond my skill to heal.”