Part 1: Chapter 9

JENNIE POV

As soon as I got home—which was around 4:30AM after Jae and I... were distracted with each other's tongues—I began to pack for our trip to Paris. I also itched my back since it was probably a tag from my bra that was acting up but I'll just fix that later.

I still couldn't believe I agreed to go to Paris but I also desperately needed to get away from my parents. After hearing about my father's company on the brink of bankruptcy, I knew I'd reap the consequences after refusing to work for his stupid company. What the hell did he even do to lose all the money? He's lucky that my mother convinced me to help her invest in stocks or we'll all be living on the streets.

"Jennie, why did you get home so late?" my mother asked through my room door after a couple knocks.

"I got distracted and forgot about the time," I replied as I opened the door to see my father with her.

"No normal person would ride a horse after sundown and even then, I came to check up on you at the stables and you weren't there," my father said.

Of course I wasn't dumb enough to lie about something I could be caught for. My father never check up on me before, even if I was there, so I didn't expect him to start checking up on me now.

"I went to the club with Rosie after."

"Chaeyoung said she was sick at home. And you didn't go to the stables at all. Don't you know there are cameras there?"

Ugh, I'm so stupid. I forgot about that. But also, why did he care so much?

"Who were you with? Taehyung said he saw you drive towards the highway to the countryside."

So Chaeyoung got me busted and Taehyung is snooping on me now? Who can I really trust in this world?

"Don't even think about making excuses, Jennie. What were you doing at Bentley's Auto House?" my father asked because I went to check if Jae was there before going to his house. I hope my father didn't ask around about the place or I'd be in even bigger trouble. 'The daughter of a millionaire has sex with prostitutes' doesn't seem to scream classy on my part.

"I was getting my car fixed again. Thanks for lying about that by the way. I know it's a 2018 Audi A3 with a shit engine and useless brake pads. I had to get them both fixed the first time and it still tells me my engine needs maintenance."

I crossed my arms and sat on my bed. I might have snapped a bit too harder in the moment and now I regret the amount of sarcasm in my tone of voice. Conversations like this usually don't end well for me.

"Who taught you about cars?" my father asked.

"And what are you packing for?" my mother asked, looking at the small suitcase on the floor next to my closet.

"Answer me this first," my father said with his arms crossed. He's crossed his arms at me many times before. It doesn't intimidate me as much as it used to after Jae told me that my father probably only did that in an attempt to get answers with an unspoken threat. "Who were you with?"

"I was with a friend."

"A boyfriend?"

"Not really," I said. That was technically true. Jae and I weren't dating so I wouldn't call him a boyfriend.

"What's his name?"

"Does it have to be a man that I'm seeing?"

"Stop cutting corners and answer me when I ask you a question. Don't try to act smart, Jennie. You can't be something you're not," he spat and successfully shattered my ego. I didn't think much of whatever my father used to say to me but his shrewd comments always found a way to hack through my walls every single time.