Baby Steps

A/N
A very very late update but better late than sorry, right?

Italics ----> MC's (now Katherine's) thoughts and or any musings or recalling of other characters.

I am aware that little is known about the soul inhabiting Katerina Petrova's immortal body. For more understanding, however, I will be explaining the origin of this wandering soul. It will be a slow process, though.

Now, to the chapter !

〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️

Emily Bennett was untying Katherine's corset at night. The young vampire exhaled as she got rid of the tight, suffocating piece. The vampire would rather go without them (the scandal!) but she wanted to fit in and not stand out.

Emily stared at her current employer, noting down her frustrated expression. Although Emily had not been with Katherine for a long time, she knew what she was. She didn't want to impose her unmasked curiosity onto a supposedly evil, manipulate vampire (or so she heard). At the same time, she did want to unravel Katherine's thoughts.

She had been a slave for a middle-aged man for ten years when Katherine barged into her life.
The man was nice most of the times. However, under the influence of alcohol, he turned into a cruel, unfeeling monster. The Bennett girl did her best to avoid riling him, in vain. The Bennetts were known for their defiance and individuality and she would not call herself a proud descendent of the powerful Bennett family if she did not retaliate. Unconsciously, she had used the power of nature against the vile man  and Katherine had seen it all.

"How about a deal, witch? Your services in exchange for your protection, hmm?" The devil had said as she twirled a curly stray hair with her finger.
She could have said no and be done with it, but the vampire had given her a second chance to live freely which excited her.

Her employer's image had been shattered ever since they came to live with the Salvatore's: a tired, perplexed and annoyed Katherine who neither had the manners of a lady nor the craftiness of a 5oo-year-old vampire. The young woman even started thanking her and patting her head! She even pinched her cheeks!

"You are too cute, Emily! Adorable!" She had said as she squeezed the Bennett witch's cheeks!
She was sure the lady was high on blood, for she wouldn't imagine otherwise.

"Emily, do hurry up. I want to sleep." Her mistress's voice snapped Emily out of her musings.

〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️

The next morning, Emily was about to wake Katherine up when said woman suddenly rised and stared at her,  wide-eyed.

"The ball, Emily. The Ball. That's it! Oh my God, what am I going to do?" She said that while gently shaking Emily, afraid she would unconsciously hurt the cute witch.

Indeed, the whole story started with the Lockwood Ball. Canon Katherine had started pitting both brothers after this significant event. Change is a must if she ever wanted to live unconcerned. She wouldn't hope for a peaceful life (she's Katherine, of course her life would be problematic!). For the moment, she should concern herself with the present. Whatever comes at her, she would deal with it in due time.

It came to her mind, then, that even if she wanted to change her ending, she could not change Katherine's personality. It was one of the vital points in the show and one must not be soft-hearted in such a kill-or-be-killed universe. So, she must act or try to act at least until she got over this hurdle. The 1864 plot was essential and she must survive it.

"Emily, let's get me dressed."

She had made a simple plan: convince Stefan that she is seductive (that will be very hard, though), force him to play along without looking bossy or calculating (also very hard) and then pull Damon to her side. Damon will make a wonderful ally.

But then, Stefan had already seen through her. Although she looked like someone who only cares about herself (what with trying to win him over with her straightforward confession), there was nothing selfish about it and she wouldn't be able to pull the 'manipulative bitch' card.

Decisions. Decisions.

What if, ... ? That's it!

The key to gain both Salvatores' trust was simply stating the truth. No matter how peculiar the situation was, they would surely appreciate my initiative, right?

Canon Katherine made a terrible decision by compelling the brothers from exposing her, by having them both without letting them inform each other.

All she had to do was to include them both in. Perhaps, this slight change might have a favorable outcome.