Off the Rails

Chicago, 1920

It has been almost 60 years since Stefan Salvatore had last seen Katherine Pierce, once his family ward and a proclaimed creature of the night. A passerby if one can call her as such.

He can remember the events of that night vividly. Not the bloodshed, for thankfully he was spared such a gruesome sight. But he did remember her alright.

He does not remember how he went through with his transition. Yes, he did consume her blood. And yes, for a moment, he did hesitate. After all, all of it was just an 'in case' plan. In case he dies, he will have vampire blood in his system and the choice will be his (or so she told him, and right she was).

Was it really worth it? Death? The immortality? The bloodlust? The constant lying?

Till this very day, he cannot seem to answer those questions. But, he did anticipate their next meeting, Katherine's and his. Hence, he has come to the quickest and reckless decision in his forever teenager life to become one of her kind.

That is why, he has decided to contact her after all these years. He did not miss her, to be honest. They neither spent much time together nor strengthened their bond. He just wants to see her, ask about her whereabouts and probably convince her to find Damon for him.

He did hear about the mysterious brunette once in a while when Emily has decided to share. Otherwise, he has no other means to probe.

Damon, his older brother, had disappeared shortly after they both had transitioned. They had parted ways in anger, neither wanting to be the better man and mend things between them.

💫✨💫✨💫✨💫✨💫✨

He had been at the bar for almost an hour now, waiting for his century-long friend, Alexia Branson (otherwise known as Lexi). He has yet to fully show a smile at her appearance when Lexi's lone figure caught his attention.

She sat down across from him, grabbed his glass of whiskey and gulped its content, grimacing at the burning sensation.

"I have news," she said, "about your Katherine. Emily refused to indulge more information about her but she was willing to tell me few things."

"And?" Stefan leaned forward, anticipating her answer.

"She might be here, in New York. Her exact location has yet to be confirmed. But, I was told she frequents 'Gloria's Bar' so might as well check there."

"That's it? This is all you could come up with?"

"Hey!" The blonde yelled, in indignation. "It's not my fault she is good at covering her tracks. Besides, she told you you will meet, granted it was not much but it shows that you will ... one day!"

Both sat in silence, ignoring the bar's loud music and any drunkard who had taken the bar as a refuge for the night.

"How are you, Stef? Off the rails yet?"

Stefan flinched, dreading the new topic. Lexi has a way of jumping between topics and talking about all that he wants to avoid.

"Let's not talk about this tonight. Leave the lecture and the nagging for some other day, okay?"

She rolled her eyes, but kept her quiet as she knew the Salvatore vampire has too much on his mind, and the threat of turning Ripper once more is amongst many of other threats.

"It's true I have come tonight to tell you about Katherine, but I also want to tell you that I'll be off in two days. I've got to change the scenery."

Stefan has had a hunch, Lexi has a bad timing, that's for sure. Every time he suspects himself of becoming the 'Ripper,' she goes off somewhere and then, she has to return not long after because his hunch turns out to be valid.

"Stay in touch please. You know I get agitated when I lose contact with you." This is no exaggeration, Lexi does help keep him sane. She has a way of ridding him of any guilt he might have felt after his fall off the rails, even though he can never rid himself of said guilt.

He hopes, this time, he does not fall too much.

👉👉 Author's Note

Hiyah! This is a filler chapter. Part 2 will cover selective years prior to the pilot. I hope you like it 🥰

Notice that the Salvatore brothers are off to an awful beginning after their transition. I do not intend to change this aspect since it's important for future events. I will, however, add certain details that I find relative to the development of this plot.

Comments and feedback are both welcome!