Adjustment

If I told you that my twenty-something self had just transmigrated into Katherine Pierce's body, you might tell me I was hallucinating (what with my obsession with TVD)

If I told you I had been residing in a pretty much fictional Salvatore Mansion, you would likely say I was fantasizing.

But what if I told you that I had been craving blood for days nonstop? (Disgusting, no?)

The thing with this transmigration is that I was made aware of its implications but had yet to accept it as my new reality. That was made even clearer with my vampirism. Katherine Pierce had had centuries to exercise control. She had been feeding on humans ONLY. This had excluded any notion of animal diet. However, I tried. I really did.

The first time I tasted a rabbit, I had stomach aches.
"I have not the clearest ideas why you would try it, M'lady." Emily would scold me as such.

Animal diet was a failure, so I had to rethink my options. The obvious would be to feed on the ones working at the manor, but I didn't dare for fear of exposure. Emily, however, talked me into it. For some reason, I felt she was much more likeable than what TVD had portrayed her.

Hopefully, I wouldn't be caught. It doesn't matter whether I was a vampire or not. What was most important was that I survive.

★☆★☆★☆★

It was late at night, everyone was asleep. I tiptoed my way out of my bedchamber, heading for the servants quarters.

What are you doing?

Good question. I didn't know what I was doing! I just knew I had to feed otherwise dearest Giuseppe will gladly offer me on a silver platter to the Council and where will I be then? Mummified under a haunted church, that's where.

I was halfway down the stairs when I stopped. This was not right. This won't do. I retraced my steps back as silently as I  could.

"Is everything alright, Miss?" Emily, who had just woken up, asked dazedly.

"How come I have to go look for my food? I am a lady, am I not? Don't answer that. I am a lady. Go look for a Timothy. Tell him to meet me in the morning by the stables. That would do", I nodded my head for emphasis and mentally patted myself on the shoulder.

I, of course, couldn't sleep. But, having a plan made me feel at ease.

★☆★☆★☆★

"I have been told you sent for me, Miss Katherine?"

Timothy, a handsome young man in his early twenties, was the stables' boy. We had met on several occasions before during which he offered me his assistance  whenever I needed. I didn't refuse nor accept his offer. But I do need his help this time.

"Yes. Come here. Help me with this mare".

I was not hiding to avoid arousing his suspicion and I wasn't in the open either. I was in the stables, pretending to groom a mare situated by the left corner. It was the perfect place.

He had just placed his hand on said mare when I turned and looked him in the eyes.
"Stay still. Don't scream".

It was easy to imitate what I saw on screen, for I was a by-stander, an outsider. At this moment, however, I couldn't believe I was resorting to "tapping a vein" (as Damon Salvatore would call it).

I pushed his head to the side and latched onto his throat. I didn't even remember how my fangs came out. I did feel relief when his delicious blood flooded into my throat. I think I moaned at some point (do remember, it had been a while since I fed).

It wasn't until Emily signaled me from the door that I need to rush that I held myself back. Just in time for the man would have died. I fed him some of my blood and hoped to God he wouldn't die on me.

"Nothing happened. You just came to check the horses and now you feel a bit dizzy. Go to the kitchens and eat something".

"Nothing happened. Oh! Good morning, Miss Katherine. I apologize but I feel a bit dizzy. I should go to the kitchens".

" You should hurry up then", I answered having my back to him.

When his footsteps faded away, I turned to Emily.

"Do I look fine? Any blood splatters?"
She shook her head and I sighed, thankful that I hadn't exposed myself. Anything could be used against me, even blood.

"Good. Now that that is over, we should head back to the manor."

It wasn't long before Katherine left, when Stefan Salvatore himself came out of the Stables, pale and shaken. He had been looking after his own horse when she came in. He saw everything and he wasn't sure if it was reality or  the creation of his muddled mind.

You see, no matter what, it was meant for Stefan Salvatore to discover the real nature of Miss. Katherine regardless of the means or the circumstances that pushed him to reveal such truth.