Redemption

Luke and Laurie finally broke from their embrace and neither wanted to be the first to speak. Though the strong dislike she had attempted to muster toward the boy had slowly faded into the moment, Laurie still had questions for Luke.

She had always been a very firm and independent girl, and there was no way she was going to sit back and pretend like what had happened didn't happen. She wasn't going to let Calum get away with it, and she certainly wouldn't let Luke get away with it.

"Luke." She said seriously, and Luke's gaze shifted down to the much shorter girl.

"Yes?" He replied submissively, and Laurie's ego was boosted by the sudden power that usually only belonged to Luke.

"I want things to be how they were before all of this. I need you." She said, and Luke's heart raced.

'I need you.'

"But I need to know if you need me." She added, causing chills to travel down Luke's entire body.

He licked his lips nervously and his breath hitched.

"I do need you." He responded.

He was terrified of what he had just said. He told Laurie that he needed her, and he did, but he had never allowed himself to be so vulnerable. He had shut his eyes and placed his head blindly on the guillotine, only hoping that the blade would not come down without knowing for certain.

The strange thing is that he was totally fine with it. He was afraid, but he felt that if it could bring Laurie back to him it would all be worth it.

Laurie felt the complete opposite. When Luke had spoken those three words with such sincerity, she became electrified. The darkness that had been allowed to creep into the girl from every angle was being eaten away slowly by her newfound confidence, and she smiled slightly.

"Then tell me everything that happened. I want it all, no lies, no exaggerations, nothing. Every moment from the time I got here to the moment I left." She negotiated, and Luke agreed without resistance.

The two of them made their way into the living room and sat face to face in the chairs.

Luke began his explanation with the first time Laurie had arrived. He told her how he had seen her struggling in the captive room and asked Calum to help her out. He said it was important that Calum did it because she was familiar with him and would have been less afraid knowing that he was there.

He told her about how he had known there was something special about her from the moment he had seen her, and how jealous he had grown of Calum as their friendship quickly escalated into more.

As Luke went on, Laurie began to see the signs that were right in front of her face the whole time. Luke had been interested in her from the moment the two had first met, and she wondered why she couldn't tell.

Luke went on to tell Laurie about how he had fallen for her and how he was heartbroken when she left, but there was one big thing he continued to leave out. Laurie sighed.

"What about Calum?" Laurie asked sternly, and Luke quickly shyed away from her gaze.

He let out a nervous sigh rubbed his forhead.

"Well," he started shakily. "From the moment I met you I was instantly jealous of him. He could talk to you whenever he wanted - you were best friends! At first it was small because that was all you two were, but I watched as your relationship changed into a weird lust and I couldn't help how angry I was becoming."

Laurie shuddered at Luke's description of her relationship with Calum.

A weird lust.

She began to wonder if that was indeed what it was, or if Luke was just exaggerating.