Somewhere New

Luke cruised down the winded country road with ease, and when he reached a spot where the trees parted and the grass had worn down, apparently from being parked on many times, he did the same.

He turned the car off and opened his door, stepping out into the cool, fresh air. Laurie sat firmly in the passenger seat, terrified that she had voluntarily placed herself at the scene of her murder, and looked around the area.

There were nothing but trees, and their branches, almost completely bare from the fast approach of winter, canopied the area completely. The world outside of the small space was invisible to Laurie, and she was completely invisible to the world.

There was a knock on the window and Laurie jumped, terrified. She shifted her eyes to the glass nervously and saw Luke bent down to look at her, then rolled the window down just enough to hear him properly.

"What are you waiting for?" He asked, and Laurie hesitated before responding.

"I'm not getting out of the car." She said firmly and locked the doors. Luke rolled his eyes and looked around.

"You complain about not getting out, but when I bring you somewhere, you refuse to actually get out. I don't get you." He said and shook his head confusedly. Yeah she wanted to get out, of course she did! But she didn't like being alone with him, especially in such a secluded place.

Laurie kept a tight grip on her arm rest and felt a complete wave of anxiety and terror wash over her.  He had the keys. There was no way she could leave without him, and she didn't know the area at all.

Had she wanted to, she could have gotten out and made a dead sprint back to the road they had just turned from. She could get back home. She could get help. She could report Luke. But she didn't want to.

She knew that no matter what happened to her, there was no way she could ever tell anyone, no matter how much she wanted to see Luke brought down.

Seeing Luke brought down would mean that she would see Michael brought down, and he had been nothing but nice to her the entire time. And Calum. Laurie's heart shattered at the thought of Calum being taken away because of Luke. Because of her. She wouldn't have it.

She took a deep breath and unlocked the doors. Luke looked at her with reason in his eyes and she gave in. "Fine." She said, opening her door and stepping out to face Luke. Her eyes darted to the direction of the old road and then back to Luke, and he grabbed her hand, alarmed by the threat that she would try to run.

Laurie was taken back by his secure grip and gasped. Luke noticed the tiny girl's reaction and snatched his hand back reflexively, his face turning bright red, and his tongue rolling over his lip ring subconsciously.

Suddenly, his attitude grew more serious and he snapped around. "Follow me." He said sharply and walked past his car and into the wild brush. Laurie stood in her spot for a moment before deciding to trust him and jogging to meet up with the tall boy.

As Laurie caught up to Luke she poked his arm with her elbow, hoping to at least find out where it was that they were going. Luke looked down at her and kept walking, determined to get to where he needed to go and quick.

Luke's long strides came easily, but Laurie had to take two just to keep up, and Luke chuckled at the effort she was putting into it. Hearing his laughter, Laurie eased up a bit, taking it as a sign that he did not have intentions of murdering her as she had initially expected.

Laurie looked up at him. "What are you laughing at?" The short, but very fierce girl asked, continuing her two step pattern. Luke smiled down at her admiringly and shrugged.