Milestones

Laurie sat alone in her room once again and sighed. What did she do wrong? She had finally seen the only side of Luke that didn't disgust her, and suddenly it disappeared without a trace.

Whatever had happened obviously wasn't good, because by this time she figured he would have come in to annoy her or something, but he hadn't spoken a word to her since they had gotten out of the car.

Time seemed to go by much more slowly for Laurie, and she assumed that it was because she had been reminded of what it felt like to actually have somewhere to be besides her room for once.

Regret soon overtook Laurie at the realization that she could have been out of the situation completely had she just gone like Luke told her to, but she also realized that that would mean possibly never seeing Calum again.

She kept going back and forth in her mind as to which decision was the appropriate one, but she was there regardless, so she decided to drop it. She was unsure as to what her status was in the house since Luke had freed her, but she assumed that it was just as low as it had been before their trip to the woods, judging by the lock that was still settled on her door.

Deciding that time was just not moving quickly enough any more, she rested in to her bed for a nap and slept the rest of the day away. Unfortunately, however, that meant that she had an abundance of energy during the latest hours of the night, and had absolutely nothing to do with it.

She couldn't count on Michael coming in to talk to her because he was probably asleep. She wouldn't dare count on Luke to come talk to her considering how strangely he had acted when they got back to the house.

She wasn't sure if that other boy would come talk to her because she had never seen him before in her life, but she didn't count on that either.

The only person she could count on to come talk to her at night was Calum, and that was never a guarantee, especially considering how late it already was.

Giving up on her hopes of any type of communication, Laurie grabbed a towel and retreated into her bathroom to take a shower. She turned the water on and immediately it was perfectly warm.

She stepped in slowly and just enjoyed the warm water for a few seconds. That was really the only luxury she had while she was there, and she certainly enjoyed it as much as she could.

It was like as soon as she stepped in the shower, not only was she washing her body, but she washed away all of the thoughts and worries that plagued her each day and prepared for the next.

She sang too, and very loudly, but she managed to keep it down for the sake of everyone in the house.

Thirty minutes and ten wrinkly fingers later, Laurie decided that she had spent enough time in the shower and turned the water off, stepping out into the foggy space outside of the curtain.

She wrapped her towel around her body snuggly and  rubbed a quick hand across the mirror to see her reflection. She was less than satisfied by the way her hair had began to wildly curl, but she ignored it for the time being.

She swung the door open, still singing some song she only knew a few lines to, and stepped out. As soon as her eyes made their way to her bed they met Calum's and her face flushed.

She ran back into the bathroom and closed the door, mortified. Calum shot up from her bed immediately and stood in front of the bathroom door.

"I'm so sorry!" He said through the door. "I came up to ask about what you and Luke did today but you were in the shower so I kind of just waited." He finished, and Laurie leaned against the door clutching her chest.