Bridges

Luke pulled up to the apartment complex and didn't bother to find a parking space, deciding instead to let the car idle in front of their door. Laurie sighed.

"I think it'd be best if you waited." She said as she opened the door, and Luke nodded.

Laurie closed the door and walked up to the apartment. She rang the doorbell and waited a few seconds before being greeted by Calum.

She walked into the apartment without speaking and Calum looked over her shoulder at the car sitting outside.

"Who's that?" He asked, closing the door and following Laurie inside. She rolled her eyes.

Who was that girl you tried to sleep with the other night?

"It doesn't matter." She said, heading straight to their bedroom and pulling two suitcases from her closet.

Calum followed Laurie around like a flea as she bounced from room to room, and she was becoming visibly annoyed with him - as if she wasn't already.

"Laurie, I really think we should talk." Calum said softly, and Laurie stopped what she was doing. She rolled her eyes.

"What?" She said coldly over her shoulder.

Calum sighed and stood behind her.

"Look, I didn't do what I did-"

"Cheat on me. Don't beat around the bush." Laurie snapped, and continued packing her belongings.

Calum shook his head.

"I didn't cheat on you to hurt you." He said softly, and Laurie rolled her eyes internally.

"Look, I think we both realized that what we were trying to be was too much, and I was just too much of a coward to end things." He added.

Laurie shook her head and looked back at Calum.

"Obviously I realized that!" She said, and turned her body to face him completely.

"But keeping me here hoping that things would get better was selfish of you." She spat.

Calum scratched at his neck.

"Look, Laurie I'm-"

"For Christ's sake would you stop telling me that you're sorry! You say it over and over and over again, Calum, and I'm starting to wonder if you even know what it means!"

The genuine anger and pain in Laurie's voice struck Calum off guard and his composure had been severely damaged.

"I know what I did was selfish and wrong, but-"

"Then why did you do it?" She asked calmly, and Calum shook his head.

"I didn't want to lose you." He said softly, possibly having reached his breaking point.

Laurie rolled her eyes. He cheated on her because he didn't want to lose her? Likely story.

"I was confused, okay? I thought that what I was feeling for you was more than what it was, but we had already done too much. I figured you'd think I purposely led you on." He admitted in spite of himself.

"If you were so afraid of leading me on, why did you drag it out for three months?" Laurie asked quizzically and Calum sighed again.

He had planned this all out and had so much to say, but there was no way he could express himself properly with Laurie tearing his explanation apart. He scratched at his arms in frustration.