Unshakeable

"I really appreciate you staying to talk." Laurie whispered into Luke's shirt, and he ran a hand through her hair.

"It's really no problem." He said. Laurie smiled at him. He had sat there for literally hours talking, but mainly listening to all of Laurie's woes.

How she felt betrayed, how she was angry with Calum, how she had trusted him and then had been let down, everything. He was a bit of an emotional punching bag for Laurie, but he was a good one and Laurie decided that she liked having him around.

Maybe she was wrong about him. Yeah, he had been a complete jerk, but maybe it was just a wall he put up. Laurie knew all about that, she was aware of how rude she had been to him, and admittedly she had had her walls up as well, but rightfully so!

She didn't know him, and to be honest, his first impression wasn't that great considering he kidnapped her and all. But as time passed, Laurie uncovered many different sides and qualities of the boy, and he made for a great companion.

Laurie sighed, and Luke looked down at her. Her eyes were puffy and red from crying, and she was emotionally exhausted. "What's wrong?" He asked, wondering what more could possibly be wrong after listening for hours.

Laurie rubbed her face. "It's just... I'm just so stupid." She started, and Luke felt her hot tears start up again against his shirt. "I actually believed he liked me, but I guess he got all he wanted from me." She said, wiping her eyes quickly and huffed, annoyed by how deeply she had allowed herself to fall for Calum.

Luke shook his head and shut his eyes tightly, disturbed, and the image of Calum and Laurie from the night before danced around his head and laughed at him. Laurie continued.

"I mean he was just so persuasive, something about him just made me melt. It was like I couldn't say no to him and..." Laurie kept talking, and Luke rolled his eyes when she wasn't looking.

What did Calum have that Luke didn't? Besides Laurie's virginity, of course, which Luke had regrettably heard him take away loud and clear.

"I don't know, I just felt so secure with him, and he always made me feel safe and like I belonged and..."

Luke's mind took another detour, and he began playing with his lip ring, engulfed by an overwhelming sense of jealously toward Calum.

"And I just wish that I didn't wake up every day thinking of him, because now I know he certainly didn't do the same... I wish that I could hate him -or just forget about him completely- so I wouldn't have to go around feeling like he'd robbed me of something..."

Luke's heart rate quickened. He didn't know that Laurie had felt so strongly about Calum, and it both angered and saddened him.

What about Luke? Why couldn't she feel that way about him? He didn't understand, and there's no way he could have. Luke could give Laurie everything she wanted, he could give her the world, and all Calum had given her was his company.

Hell, he wasn't even there anymore and Laurie was thinking more about him in one moment than she ever had about Luke!

"... but I can't. I love him. Even if he doesn't love me... I've given everything to him, I lost everything, but a part of me just keeps going back over and over, and I swear it was so real. It all felt real..." She said, and Luke was seething.

"It was real to me." She finished, her eyes igniting into warm reminiscence and then crumbling as her composure broke.

As the girl in his arms fell to pieces, he was coming apart at the seams thinking of the unshakability of Laurie's affection for Calum. He took some comfort in knowing that the two were on the same wavelength, but not much.

"Just forget about him!" Luke said, trying to reason with her but failing and sounding slightly whiny.

Laurie shook her head and chuckled sadly. "I wish I could." She said and sighed. Luke's head was spinning, and his jealousy had grown to anger.

Calum was gone! He wasn't coming back for her! Ever! Why couldn't she just see that? Why was she so set on loving him? "What did he have that I didn't?" Luke spurted out, continuing his train of thought aloud, and Laurie's head shot up to face him.

His eyes widened, realizing what he had just said, as well as it's terrible timing. "I-I didn't, I didn't mean that, I just-" before Luke could finish, Laurie cut him off.

"What did you say?" She asked, cocking an eyebrow at him. Luke froze. Damn it.

"I said..." Luke thought about it. "I said... What was he thinking about when he did it- did you. Not like did you, I mean that's none of my business. Ugh... Forget it." Luke rambled nervously, rubbing his face at how stupid he sounded.

Laurie laughed. She hadn't heard what he had said, but whatever he was trying to say was a whole lot more entertaining.

"You're so weird, Luke." Laurie said giggling, and Luke punched himself internally. Great. Weird is such a great thing to be in the eyes of the girl you like.

"It's cute." She said innocently. The statement meant nothing to Laurie, but everything to Luke.

Cute. Cute was way better than anything he'd ever been called by Laurie before, and his chest fluttered.

In fact, the envy which was dangerously close to boiling over in Luke and becoming exposed to Laurie subsided with the word, and was replaced with a warm feeling that Luke just couldn't shake- not that he wanted to.

"Do you want to go out? And I don't mean it like-" Laurie's laughter cut him off.

"Yeah yeah, I know. You don't mean go out like that, you mean go out, leave. We've been over this." She said, referring to the last time he had offered to 'go out' when he had very literally just wanted to go out.

This time was different for Luke, he meant it this time. He didn't want to just go out with Laurie, he wanted to go out with her on a date.

Laurie was seemingly oblivious to this though, because she tied her hair up messily, which Luke found quite attractive, but he knew that she didn't take it seriously.

"Let's go then." She said, throwing on a pair of all white vans and slipping on a scarf lazily. Luke sighed at the swing and miss and opened the door, allowing Laurie to walk out before closing the door and following her down the hallway. He groaned once Laurie was out of earshot.

Maybe next time.

-------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Luke just got curved

Anyway, this chapter is late and kind of not that great but thanks for reading anyway :p

Question! Is Whataburger just a Texas thing or?