▪︎ chapter thirty-six ▪︎

Start from the beginning

It couldn't have been worse. The cemetery chapel was almost deserted. Turns out Ezekiel Cleveland had almost no friends in high school except a tall girl wearing glasses and two boys with sandy blond hair --- which I knew were the Robinson twins. The other people included his family, just his parents and a little sister crying over his casket, soon to be buried under the wet earth. It was drizzling monotonously. 

Audrey, Jae-Hwa and Stefan were huddled close in a corner, their faces devoid of luster. The atmosphere was too heavy, as if it was before a flood. But this time we knew for certain, the flood was over. It was just the ruins that remained.

"How's Iris doing?" I ask, looking up at Ian.

"Won't say any better but --- nanny's there to take care of her." He says in a whisper.

"And how about your dad? I almost forgot, he's sick right?"

"I really have no idea. I was supposed to call him but then ---" He pauses, taking in a deep breath as if he too, was suffocating.

"I bought these flowers," I sniffle, "Zeke used to say daisies were more beautiful than roses. He had his own theories on earth and human existence...I never really understood him, you know."

"That's pretty obvious. No one did." He answers, looking up at the dark clouds flailing across the ashen sky.

"There's Hannah." I mutter under my breath.

"And I suppose that woman is her mother?" Ian asks and I nod.

The Jenkins place white lilies on Ezekiel's casket and the sight makes the lump in my throat grow stronger. My lungs were tight, as if about to burst. I wanted to cry ---- and so I did.

"Come here." Ian says as he pulls me close to his chest. He was still warm and warmth was what I needed the most.

When I recover a bit, I could see my parents in the vicinity, even Connor had come. If only he knew the dead person could have been the cause of his death.

When the clergy member initiates the ceremony, I just wished to escape. Somehow I wanted to believe it was a nightmare, but the eulogies and mourning made it seem all so real.

My mother, who was seated beside me just added to the misery.

"Why is your neck so bare? You could have asked me for something light, a gold chain at least!" She frowns and I clench my fists, trying hard not to shout at her.

"This is a funeral ceremony, mother! Not one of your fancy galas!" I hiss.

Before she could reply to that, I pick up my purse and silently slip through the backdoor. My eulogy was done and there wasn't any reason I should have stayed longer.

I pull the trench coat closer to my body, even though it was spring, it seemed like a dreary winter day.

"Where do you think you are going?"

The voice makes me jolt at first, given the place I was in --- it was pretty natural. The graveyard was as gloomy as it could be.

"Ian, you scared me." I sigh.

"I know, you thought it was Ezekiel's ghost." He rolls his eyes and I smack his arm lightly.

"You didn't have to follow me outside." I say.

"There's nothing I could do back there. In fact, I am here just to accompany you." He shrugs.

"Really?"

He nods in response.

There was a moment of silence, we both knew we were thinking of the same thing : how one thing leads to another and how just within seven months --- our lives have been completely changed. But I yet didn't know if the change was for the better or the worse.

"Wanna grab some coffee?" I offer, tucking back a strand of hair. It was growing windy and I was cold.

"Sure and um, Vanessa?"

"Yeah?"

"I know it's not the best time to say this but.....just so you know....I care for you. And...I don't know if I mean anything to you, but to me, you are the loveliest human being to have existed. And..." he halts to look at me, "I am here for you."

_____✵_____

A/N : What's happening? Two updates a week? Check!
This book is coming towards the end and there are four more chapters left. Hint : I am planning a spin-off, will start working on that as soon as I am done with this one. ;)
Chapter dedicated to Monica_Ahuja . ♡