20. An Impossible Choice

Start from the beginning

It became very silent, the people on the beach looking at each other awkwardly. Jack, Elizabeth and Gibbs sheathed their swords, their fight from before temporarily forgotten.

Then Jack took the initiative as usual.

"Soo, who's up for some adventure?" He rubbed his hand in a businesslike manner, acting unconcerned but doing it so badly he fooled nobody. "My ship needs a crew. What say you?" He nodded at the sailors who had come ashore from the Black Pearl.

"Aye!" they replied in unison.

"Wind in your sails!" added the parrot from its perch on one of the men's shoulder.

"Great. Lovely." Jack grinned wide. Then he turned to Gibbs and Elizabeth. "And you? Wanna come?"

"Not this time, Jack," said Gibbs. His normally so cordial features had a stern, reproving expression.

"How dare you even ask?" Elizabeth's face was pale and her cheeks bright red. "If you had not been so selfish and taken the Heart for yourself, we could have used it to bargain for both Rose's and Will's lives. Thanks to you, we now have an impossible choice to make! How could you, Jack? I thought better of you."

Jack's grin remained but it was wavering, plastered to his face seemingly with effort as he turned to Rose. "How about you? With your new fancy pearl box you can stay alive. It will be fun." He seemed to be looking at a point a little to the left of her shoulder, as if he was afraid to read the disapproval in her eyes.

Instead of replying, Rose pointedly moved over to Elizabeth's and Gibbs' side. Jack's forced smile waned at last and was replaced with a disappointed frown.

"Suit yourself then. I already have a crew and they love me." He raised his voice, speaking to the sailors. "You love me, don't you?"

They said nothing, except for the parrot who crowed: "Dead men tell no tales."

"I didn't ask you." He scowled at it. Then he appeared to remember something and turned back to Rose. "Hector... Who's taking Hector?"

Barbossa replied: "I can take care of myself, thank you."

"Not you. We named the pig Hector." He looked so smug he was positively gloating. "You, Hector Barbossa, will be marooned together with your monkey on a very quaint little island that we're both familiar with. Seeing as you marooned me there twice."

The pirate did not reply, but if looks could kill Jack would have been buried already.

"Where was I... right. Hector. Pig Hector. Shall I take him with me?"

"He stays with me." Rose crossed her arms. "Piracy is no life for a young pig. It's no life for anybody in the long run, what with it being illegal and all, and pirates getting hanged. Hector is an honest pig."

"But consider what a great life he would get! Freedom! Adventure! He could be happy if he would just accept one can be a pirate and a good man. I mean pig." He took a step closer, finally meeting her gaze. She knew he was not talking about Hector.

The earnest appeal in his eyes almost made her waver in her decision, but then she remembered what had just happened.

"What if his captain suddenly decided to threaten poor Hector with a sword? He could never be with someone as untrustworthy as that."

He flinched, his gaze again dropping. "That was a mistake. I would never hurt Hector, savvy? He knows that. Doesn't he?"

"Yes." She sighed. "But he would always come second, you know. You would always love the Black Pearl more. How can a pig compete with that? He would be jealous, and with time probably bitter and sour. You would grow to hate him."

"I could never hate him. I would..." He broke off, looking confused.

"Do you think they are still discussing the pig?" Gibbs' whisper to Elizabeth was loud enough to carry to them all, but Rose did not care. It was as if the surroundings had faded away, her world narrowing down to just she and Jack.

"Hector wants to be with someone who puts him first," she said. "Someone who is willing to make sacrifices. Much as it pains Hector to let go, he has to."

"What happened with 'two people finding comfort in each other's company'? You said that was enough for you," he said accusingly.

Rose dropped all pretense of talking about Hector. "I thought it was, but... I realized I want more. The fairytale, you know? The prince in shining armor who leaves his fancy kingdom to find the princess in the tower..."

"You know I can't give you that." He looked frustrated.

"I do, and I don't judge you. It's who you are, and it's who I am. We're just not meant to be. And in a way that makes my choice easier. I shouldn't keep the box for myself when..." Her voice trailed off.

"You don't have to give the box to Will, Rose," said Elizabeth, who like everyone else had been listening. "We'll find another way. Somehow."

"No, Liz. I can't take that risk."

"Conscience... You're a softhearted wuss, love," muttered Jack, taking her hand. "We'll still have that date in the afterlife, then?" There was resignation and sadness in his features now.

"Yes." Rose's throat had grown too narrow and her voice came out slightly distorted.

"I can help you tune your harp. Did I mention I have a fairly good singing voice?" He stroked her fingers with his thumb.

"No. I'll enjoy hearing it."

He seemed reluctant to leave and Rose was too full of emotion to say anything more. Instead she crept into his arms, burying her moist face in the nape of his neck and drawing in his scent one last time. He hugged her back almost a little too tightly.

Only Rose heard his final words, whispered so faintly she barely perceived them: "I shall miss you."

And then Captain Jack Sparrow was gone, sailing out of her life with his motley crew, taking his fettered enemy and the monkey with him.

A/N:

Okay, so I may have been slightly inspired by "Pretty Woman" in part of the dialogue between Jack and Rose. Good movie quotes are there for the takers, right?! :)

Big hug to all commenters and voters, thanks for reading and for letting me know you enjoy this. *blowkisses aplenty*

Image Credits:

Screenshot from the Pirate of the Caribbean movies.