A Piece of the Puzzle

Start from the beginning

"Thank you."

I stood there awkwardly, searching for the right words, yet not sure where to start. I wasn't sure what I wanted to know, yet at the same time, I wanted to know everything he could tell me.

"How did you...hear about my accident?"

"A young man came in that said he had, ah...been friends with your boyfriend, and I found out from him." He answered quietly.

I gave him a smile, sensing that he was uncomfortable.

"It's okay, I don't remember my boyfriend, sadly. I'd like to know anything you could tell me about him, though. I'm trying to regain some of my memories, and so far, I've had no luck at all. I do know that I stopped working for you because I wasn't able to focus on my job after losing him, and from what my parents tell me, I stopped caring about anything. But that's all I know. Can you help me?" I asked hopefully.

He nodded, a sad smile appearing on his rounded face.

"It's not been the same since you left your job here. I haven't been able to find anyone as competent as you, and as you can see, the walls are mostly bare. The last girl I had working had no idea what she was doing, she failed to get all the information from potential exhibitors, and I lost out on several of them, having no way to contact them. It's been a disaster, to say the least."

"I'm so sorry."

"No no, please, I understand, and quite honestly, I'm not quite sure how you managed to keep working for that first six months, but I'm grateful that you did. I would love to have you back, if ever you feel you'd like to work here again, but I certainly understand if you can't."

I was a bit shocked, not having expected the conversation to take this turn, but I was grateful at the same time.

"Thank you, Mr. Hansen, I will keep that in mind. I can't say that I have the knowledge of art that I may have had before my accident, but I might be willing to give it a try. Maybe after I get this cast off my arm. Two more weeks, and I'm free!"

He chuckled, and the atmosphere seemed to lighten, thankfully.

"So, Mr. Hansen, can you tell me about my boyfriend? What was he like? I really don't have anyone else to ask, my parents didn't really know him well, and I really hadn't made friends, I guess I was always so busy working."

He nodded, smiling at me.

"You were definitely a hard worker, and I believe you spent more time here than you did at home. It's a shame that we don't realize what a treasure we have in someone until we no longer have them."

His smile fell, and he looked at me sadly.

"That boyfriend of yours was a talented one. I have never had anyone hold an exhibition, and sell out every single painting. It causes such pain in my heart that he barely had the opportunity to enjoy his success. How could life be so cruel to such a talented young man. He had so much left to give, I'm sure of it. It just doesn't seem fair that he was taken from the world so soon."

There was an ache in my heart that seemed to get stronger as he spoke. I felt a sadness creeping into my soul, and it didn't feel good. But I needed to know. I'd rather he tell me whatever he could, because I still didn't like the thought of my memories just all the sudden flooding back in, and overwhelming me.

"Ah, but the two of you together were something to see. I remember how you were hurrying him along the day of his exhibition. He was always so relaxed, not worrying about much, but you were always on the ball, needing everything to be done just so. The two of you complimented each other though, in the best way. It was easy to see how happy you were together."