Chie Satonaka x Insecure!Male!Reader (P4)

"So I told Yukiko- hey... You alright?"

"Huh?" You snapped out of your thoughts, feeling guilty. "Sorry, just... distracted."

"I noticed." Chie frowned, but her tone was gentle. "What's up?

You forced a smile, waving dismissively. "Oh, nothing, just thinking about the work I've got piling up... What were you saying earlier?"

Chie's eyes laid on you for a while longer, before she nodded and continued her story. You sighed in relief as she did. 

You didn't want to make her worry after all. 

After a few more minutes of walking, her house was in sight.

"Aw, here already..." Chie muttered. Realising she said it out loud, her face flushed. "I-I mean, uh. Thanks for walking me!"

"It's alright, wouldn't be much of a boyfriend if I didn't." You joked, and she chuckled. 

As you approached the door, Chie's footsteps slowed until they came to a stop. You turned, tilting your head. "Chie?"

"It's... not too late yet, right? Want to, um..." She looked up, cheeks pink. "Stay a little?"

                                                   ______________________________________

And so you ended up in Chie's room, sitting stiffly. It was the first you've seen it despite dating for a few months- all other dates were spent outside. But as you glanced around, you could see how much it suited her. An easygoing theme, with underlying cuteness in the form of stuffed animals along the bookshelves. You smiled at them. 

The door then opened. "Sorry about the wait! Muku wouldn't let me pass him..." 

Chie chuckled sheepishly as she sat across from you, setting a round tray on the table between you. 

"What's this?" You asked, peering at the cups on it. 

"O-Oh! Green tea. It's really healthy!" Chie answered, holding up a fist. "And um, relaxing. Refined taste, and all that..."

Her explanation was a little odd, but you decided not to press. "Oh, sounds nice."

Hers nods were quick, and part of you worried for her neck.  "I-It is! And I made it myself..."

You took the cup in hand, feeling Chie's hopeful gaze. As you sipped, a bitter taste filled your mouth and you grimaced as you swallowed it. 

Chie noticed this, and frowned sadly. "No good?"

"I'm... not sure... how did you make it?"

"With the leaves of course!" Chie put a hand to her chin. "They were the right leaves, weren't they...?" 

As she thought on it, her expression fell further. "Ugh. After Yukiko taught me, too..."

"Don't feel bad. What made you want to start brewing tea?" You asked curiously. 

"Because, I..." Chie trailed off, avoiding her eyes. "... I wanted the health benefits, is all!"

She stood, laughing as she did. "But you can forget this, I'll just clean up."

And so she left you alone again, and you watched the door long after it closed. 

This wasn't boding well... You were happy she asked to stay longer, but this strange behaviour from her made you nervous. The awkward way she spoke, and her seeming tense...

'Is she planning to breakup?'  Your stomach sunk as you even thought about the possibility. It would make sense that she was stalling for a time as she thought of how to tell you... And although you always tried your best to be a good boyfriend, you knew deep down Chie could do better. 

In fact, maybe she just said yes to dating you because she felt bad?

Chie entered the room again, and as she sat across you once more, the air felt heavy. 

"Um, so..." Chie laughed as she scratched her head. She trailed off, seemingly thinking of what to say next. Then, she sighed.

"L-Listen, I actually have something to say ..."

A rock had lodged itself in your throat, and you could hardly swallow it down. "I... see."

Chie opened her mouth to continue, but you interrupted.

"It's okay, I had a feeling this was coming."

She blinked in surprise. "You did?"

Nodding, you continued. "You wanted to break up, right? It's okay, you don't need to give any reasons or, or try explain yourself-"

"Wait, wait wait!" Chie rushed to say, waving her hands. "What're you talking about?!"

For a moment you stared at one another, mouths agape.

"But, but you..." You stammered, confused. "You've been acting strange!"

"So were you!" Chie replied. "Whenever we were together, you got all quiet... And I thought you got sick of me... sick of how unladylike I am, o-or something..." 

"What?" Hearing that, guilt weighed in your shoulders. "Chie..."

"I did try! I looked up tea ceremony's, flower arranging, all that stuff. But it just isn't me..."

You took her hand, and her eyes flickered to yours. 

"I know it's not. But that doesn't matter to me, I like you how you are. You're Chie." You said genuinely.

She smiled for a moment, but it fell quickly again. "But then, why? You barely spoke to me, and sometimes it felt like you were avoiding me..."

"I... Had some insecurities, too. I couldn't help thinking I was bringing you down, and you could do better than me." You smiled wryly. "So I assumed you were biding time to try break up with me. It just seemed like the best thing to do for yourself."

"D-Don't be dumb, dummy!" Chie cut you off, tears building in her eyes. "I never thought any of that...!"

"I believe you, and I'm sorry." With your free hand, you reached under her eyes to wipe her tears. 

She sniffled. "I should be the one apologising... If I knew you felt that way about yourself, I could've helped... I'm the bad partner here."

"That's not true. You even went out of your comfort zone thinking it'd help me." You said.

She frowned, and you chuckled. "But, it's all on the table now."

"I don't want you to suffer like that again though." Chie tightened her hold on your hand. "If you ever feel that way... promise you'll say, okay?"

Interlocking her fingers in between yours, you nodded. "It might be hard.. but I will try."

She smiled, and the heavy weight on you finally felt lighter. 

                                                   ______________________________________

A/N: Requested by @TheSnailHotel !