Chapter 21 : Memories

Start from the beginning

The fourth was Elijah and the older twins at a lake. Fish were strung around Riley's neck whom she could tell was grimacing slightly. 

The fifth was the photo taken recently in the day in the snow. She smiled fondly remembering the laughs they had. 

The sixth was herself, James and Elijah. They were all in their school uniforms with Addie perched on Elijah's knee and James tucked tightly into his side. The twins were smiling widely at the camera as Elijah glanced down at them affectionately. 

But it was the last one that really tugged her heart strings. It was black and white and Addie knew it had only been taken weeks ago. Addie had her arms wrapped around Harlans stomach and her face pressed into it. But she hadn't noticed at the time the way his hand loving held the back of her head or the slight loving twitch on his lips. It warmed her even more to know that it was on his clearly special place. 

She was drawn out of her thoughts when James pushed her onto the bed before climbing on after her. 

She waited quietly, biting her lip as James mouthed down from three. On the count of one they both knew what to do, launching themselves on top of their sleeping brother. 

His eyes flew open in shot, Addie noticed his hand flinching for something under his pillow before he realised it was his siblings. 

Without uttering a word his arms shot out, gripping the pair and yanking them towards him, pulling them next to him. They shrieked with laughter as Harlan jabbed his finger in the sides of their ribs. 

Addie and James writhed about, choking on their laughter when he didn't let them go. 

"Stop, I'm gonna be sick" James laughed, barely able to breathe. Instantly Harlan stopped, a smirk gracing his lips. 

"Don't come in unannounced and it won't happen" He said as he lay back down. The three of them lay in silence, Addie didn't dare breathe in fear of ruining the four seconds of peace she had with her eldest, normally strict, brother.

"Harlannnn" James drew out, propping his head up on his left hand as he rolled onto his side too face them. "Can we open presents, pleaseeee." 

Addie chuckled to herself when he bought out the puppy eyes, widening them irresistibly. Harlan pretended to look somewhere else, but Addie knew he also couldn't resist. 

Addie joined him, rolling onto her front, half on Harlan so he could see her face. An attack of innocence from both sides.

"Go eat breakfast first, then I'll consider" He reasoned, affectionately rubbing the top of their heads as they climbed off his bed and trotted towards the door. 

Addie threw a smile at him over her shoulder as she left out the door, pausing for a moment to see his reaction. 

"I tell you, favouritism" Riley stated indignantly as the three of them walked past, Thomas seemingly recovered from his assault. "If we went in his room like that we'd be murdered. Especially if we woke him up." 

A gleam flashed in Thomas eyes as a grim smirk appeared, he slowly rubbed his hands together "I suppose we'll just have to make up for it" 

Riley turned to him "You know what, I think you're right Tom. Elijah?" 

"Definitely little brother, definitely." They all turned to the twins with sarcastic smiles. "We won't be cruel, five second head start." 

The twins shared a glance before turning on their heel and sprinting down the corridor. Addie skidded to a stop at the stairs, she couldn't out run them even with a head start. Instead she settled for something better. She pulled her self up on the polished wooden banisters and slid down the impossibly tall staircase.