Thirty-Eight

Chapter Thirty-Eight| Marnie
🌺

"Oh, Marnie darling, you look so beautiful." Adela cries out, straightening my dress. "My son is so lucky to have a strong, beautiful woman like you!"

The detailed dress really does make me feel like a queen. The soft material brushing against my fingers.

I smile and do a little twirl

My two little girls are playing with their toys. I giggle when I watch Camila try to shove a building block in the top half of Jas' dress.

"No, Cammy." She lightly scolds and I bite my lip to stop myself from laughing any louder.

Camila is definitely the trouble maker.

"Marnie, dear we haven't spoken about who is walking you down the aisle." My heart drops at her comment.

Camil made a promise one night that if Cyrus and I ever got married he would walk me down the aisle.

But he's not here, so now I have no-one.

"I'll just walk alone, it's no big deal, honestly." I try to give her my best smile but she just looks at me with sadness etched onto her face.

"I will not let you walk down that aisle by yourself! You are my future daughter in law, I will walk you down there myself." She nods in determination and I smile gently.

"Thank you, Adela." She grabs hold of my hands and looks up at me.

"You're family now. To be honest you always have been." She winks and then pulls me into a quick hug. "You've made my boy very happy and you two deserve the best."

I watch as she unclasps the diamond necklace that she always has around her neck. My eyes widen when she stands on her tip-toes and tries to clasp it around my own neck.

"Adela?" I whisper in shock.

"Have it

"Have it. Please, darling." I slowly crouch down so she can clasp it around my neck. My heart warms when she places a kiss on my forehead. "I love you, Marnie. I'm so proud to be your mother in law." My eyes begin to water.