Lycan Pass - Chapter 28

Oh boy~! This chapter was so much fun to write; however, I can't say as much for the next chapter D': But I'll get it done one way or another, and it will help that winter break is coming up! Well, enjoy!

____________

       My muscles ached as I laid there in my unmade bed. My mind was racing, stuffed full of new information, new fighting styles that were supposed to save my life. I knew, however, that it was truly unlikely to help. Icarus had dozens of forms; how was a wolf supposed to fight off an aerial attack, or a bear thrice their size? John said that that was where my Seeing would come in handy. If I could see the future, I would know when and what he would turn in to. He seemed to be forgetting something major: how was I supposed to get close enough to See it in his eyes without getting myself killed?

      I sighed deeply and scrubbed my head, rolling out of bed sluggishly. I shuffled over and grabbed the rim of the sink. The basin under the mirror was full of icy water (it seemed as though icy was the only way water came here). I began to splash my face, but then just dunked my entire head under. The water pulled the heat from my face and dispersed it. I stayed there until the ache from the cold became too intense. My hair sprinkled the room with shimmering droplets as I whipped my head out of the tub.

      I stared at my dripping reflection in the mirror. The girl there looked tired. Her eyes were dull and baggy, her mouth at a slight downturn. The water trickled down her pale skin. 'I don't want this!', she seemed to say. I shook my head somberly and turned away towards the window. It was beginning to look nasty out, the grey clouds matching my mood perfectly. The distant thunder warned me of an oncoming storm.

      As I watched the trees sway in the growing wind, a form at the treeline became clearer. A monumentally sized bear sat just beneath the protective cover of the forest, its eyes locked onto mine. A recognition dawned on my, though I had only seen the form a few times.

      "Trevor?" I whispered. The bear gave me a meaningful look before it turned away and lumbered into the forest. His form was lost amidst the shadowy evening.
      "Trevor, wait!" I yelled into the window pane.

      I rushed around the room, tugging on my shoes and a jacket. My previous weariness was all but forgotten. What was Trevor doing out in the forest with a storm approaching? Did he really want me to follow him out there? Wasn't it dangerous? I didn't know the answers, but I intended to find out. I scrawled a quick note to John.

      "John,
      I'm sorry, I know I promised not to run off anymore, but this is important. I saw Trevor take off into the woods, and I need to make sure he's alright. Start dinner without me!
      -Ana"

      I tossed the note onto my bed, then went to the window and strained to pull it open. It finally rattled open and I slipped outside. The window slammed closed behind me with a resounding "BANG". I flinched, waiting for someone to come out and find me, but no one did. I let out the breath that I had been holding and took off towards the forest.

      On my way through the now empty streets, rain started to trickle down lightly. The scent of the damp leaf litter was thick in the air, assaulting my senses with the  deep aroma of  the earth. With every step I took, the ground became increasingly wet, the rain coming down harder with every blink of the eye. By the time I had reached where Trevor had stood, the rain fell in a torrential downpour.

      I changed without even thinking about it and pressed my nose to the  cold, sodden ground. The scent there was strange, like it was Trevor's but it wasn't... A frigid plop of water trailed down my back and distracted me. I shook myself off and followed Trevor's trail, wondering what could have driven him to come out here at a time like this.

      The trail kept winding on. The further into the forest I went, the tighter the knots in my stomach became. The trees whipped around me, dark forms dancing at the edge of my vision. I became jumpy. The low moaning of the wind didn't help with my frayed nerves. I tried to shut out the fear and focus strictly on the trail. His scent was growing stronger.

      I was sniffing a patch of bushes when I heard an unnatural moan, one that didn't belong to the wind. My fur stood on end. A low growl rumbled in my chest as I pushed my way through the thick branches. I stumbled into a small clearing rimmed by shrubs. Trevor laid in a crumpled human heap at the edge of the field.

      "Trevor!" I rushed to his side, heart in my throat. He moaned again. He was covered in his own blood with a ragged gash running across his neck. "What happened to you?" His eyes rolled around in his skull, trying to focus. I saw his lips quiver.

      "Run..."

      It felt like a cold punch to the stomach. How could I have been so stupid? There were so many signs that should have warned me away. The weird scents should have been a dead giveaway, and Trevor would never drag me out at such a dangerous time. A sick laughter rang out, blending with the thunder and confirming my worst fears. I had walked into a trap.

_______

Darn it, Icarus! Stop being so mean to the other characters! QnQ Play nice!

GAME TIME: Well, no one got the last one, so maybe my hint "9" (as in, "Chapter 9") wasn't clear enough~ Anyway, here's a new one. I'm not a huge fan of symbolism, but I used it ONCE in this chapter. First person to find the symbol gets the next chapter dedicated to them!