Lycan Pass - Chapter 20

• Zadedykowane All of my wonderful fans and readers!

Oh my gosh, guys ;u; We've come a whole 20 chapters already! Can you believe that? I'd just like to thank you all, and send you my sugar-coated candy love~ Thank you for all of the support. Without you, I probably would have given up on this story a long time ago.

Thanks!

_______________________________

      "You... you murderer!" Trevor shifted back.
      "Anna, what are you talking about?" He reached out to grab my hand, but I pulled away.
      "Don't..! Don't touch me, you monster!" I spat.
      "Anna..." he said softly.
      "Don't call me that! Don't speak my name! I know what you did! You killed them! You killed them all! How could you?! You killed them, then you acted like nothing happened, make me..." I sobbed heavily, "make me fall in love with you?! You're a monster of the worst kind!" His eyes were so sad as he choked on half-formed words. Good, let him be sad then. He deserves so much worse. Even as I thought it, there was a sharp stab in my chest. How could I fall for him? I'm such an idiot.
      "I-I'm so sorry, but please, let me explain!"
      "When were you going to tell me? Were you ever going to?"
      "Yes! I mean, I was, but-"
      "But what?" I asked sharply. He hesitated for a moment before looking down as if he was ashamed.
      "But... then I got greedy and only thought of protecting myself.

      That knocked the breath out of me. I almost wanted to call him out on a lie. Trevor, greedy? He was a lot of things, but greedy wasn't one of them, right? Then again, he was a killer and a liar, so maybe being selfish too wasn't that big of a stretch. I yanked my hair out of it's bun and let it run wild. I then tore off the restrictive dress and threw it at him.

      "You can have your dress back, maybe you can give it to a different fool."
      "Anna, wait!" he screamed, but I had already shifted and run off. I closed my mind to his voice, and closed my heart to his betrayal. I would welcome the pain later, but not now. All that I felt right now was the pounding of my paw steps and the fresh chill that each new breath brought.

      The trees passed by in a pine-scented blur as I tried to ignore where I was going. I wanted to be lost in the forest, I wanted to never find my way back to the village. To the deceit. To him. My feet carried me wherever they wished, and I could have cared less as long as they didn't stop moving. Somewhere in the fog of my mind, I must have noticed the acrid scent that slowly grew strong with each step. It smelled tauntingly familiar. With it came a rushing sounds. I snapped to attention and finally realized what it was.

      A road.

      I approached it with caution; close enough to see it, but far enough away that I wouldn't be noticed. I thought about becoming human, but then remembered (with a small amount of regret) that I had thrown away my dress, and that walking around in my undergarments was not the brightest of ideas. I sighed. What good would a road do if I couldn't use it? But then, I couldn't exactly go back either. It took me a while to decide, but I stood up and walked parallel to the road. Eventually, I would run in to a town, but I'd figure out what to do once I got there.

      I walked slowly for the rest of the night and well into the morning. My eyes were crossing with exhaustion and my muscles were sore, but I didn't want to stray too far from the road, and at the same time, I didn't want to sleep anywhere near it. When a deep and urgent rumbling came from my stomach, I realized I didn't have much of a choice about leaving my path.

      I was just about to leave when, as if by some miracle, a small pickup schmucked a deer right in front of me. The guy pulled over, got out, cursed, got back in and drove off. I made sure that no one was coming when I pulled the deer off into the forest. I wrinkled my nose at it. My mother had always made jokes about cooking roadkill for dinner, and that's how I knew I had hit an all time low. Still, I tucked in and ate my fill.

      I decided to risk a nap when I was done. I shifted into a human and climbed as high up into the tree tops as I dared. I had the fortune of finding a row of branches that would hold my weight when I laid down. The morning was still cool and dim when I fell asleep on my uncomfortable bed. When I woke, the Sun was high up in the sky. I sighed, less tired, but still sore. I slipped down the tree, shifted, and found the road again. This time I paced myself a little faster.

      The Sun was low into the horizon when I saw something marvelous. Before me was a small, sleepy town and a wooden sign that read, "Welcome to Whitethorn". I had found civilization.