Chapter Forty-Two

A/N Alas, we near the end.

--

Edinburgh was a bustling, lively, vibrant city. Despite the threatening grey clouds that reached above shrouding the city in mist, everyone we passed was jolly and happy and spirits were high.

It was early afternoon when we pulled into The Balmoral Hotel. Elise had driven in boots, but after handing the car to the valet, she insisted we duck into a bathroom before checking in, in order to change into her heels.

"You're ridiculous, you know that?"

"Fail to prepare, prepare to fail," Elise responded with a smirk, reapplying her lipstick in the mirror.

We headed back out into the lobby and my eyes digested the scene. It was a lot brighter than I had expected, clambering walls reaching upwards past balconies overlooking the foyer. Elise's heels clicked momentarily on the white tile floor before they were suddenly muffled by a garish carpet. Lush, green plants stood proudly on either side of a grand, oak desk, the dark wood an ode to its Scottish heritage. A man with a flat nose and piercing, round eyes regarded us carefully, his suit, much like his hair, a dark grey. There was a slight change in his expression as we approached, and he seemed to sweat as we reached the desk.

"Lady Elderflower," he simpered, his cheeks flushing a light pink, recognising her immediately, "Welcome to The Balmoral, it's a pleasure to have you stay with us."

"Yes," Elise looked down at him through dark sunglasses, "It is."

"Here is the key to your suite," he handed over a small card, "I am sure your... assistant," he glanced at me momentarily, but it was a careless glance, and it felt like he had looked right through me, "Will find your room to her satisfaction. Any problems, have her call us immediately. I don't remember booking a separate suite for your workers, would you like me to arrange that?"

"I'm not actually -" I began.

"No," Elise placed a hand on my back and I shivered, my mouth falling shut, "She has made her own arrangements," Elise began to guide me away and I looked up at her indignantly.

"Assistant!" I seethed, "How dare you?"

"Perhaps if you hadn't been so quick to jump on the menopause jokes, I might have corrected him."

"Whatever, I don't care about a stupid concierge."

We stepped into a lift, and Elise pressed a button, "It seems like you do."

Rolling my eyes, I watched the door close, "Not a chance, darling."

Elise frowned, noting the husking tone of my voice. She turned to me, and her mouth fell into an 'o' shape as I prowled towards her and pressed her flat against the wall of the elevator, "Tell me, would an assistant do this, Elise?" I questioned, dragging a hand up her inner thigh as she threw her head back and bit down on her bottom lip, "Or this?" My fingernails lightly scraped against her scalp as I pressed butterfly kisses against her neck, my teeth grazing her jawline.

"No," Elise was trembling now, "They wouldn't," and our lips caught in a searing, passionate embrace.

A bell rang out, and I drew back instantly, Elise's mouth following me as she pouted in disappointment.

When we finally made it to the room, I realised I was in for more than I had expected.

"I thought we were just getting a room," I blinked, dumbfounded, staring around in awe. I stood in a brightly lit living room with light blue walls run through with undulating lines of gold. Floor-to-ceiling windows revealing an unbeatable view of the sprawling city. A glittering chandelier hung impassively above gilt, Victorian loveseats and a glass table boasted a bucket of champagne and a small box of chocolates. A handwritten note awaited us, but Elise ignored it, choosing to slide off her coat and hang it carefully on the back of a sofa.