Chapter 30: Silent Auction

Kendra...

I again found myself standing in the gymnasium of Winston Elementary, overseeing another school event. I scanned the tables, making sure everything was still set. I watched the hoards of people in the room and hoped it was all moving smoothly. I checked my little helpers, praying that I saw no frosting or chocolate stains on their shirts. Especially Kyle.

I had never hosted a silent auction before, and it might be one of the hardest things I've ever done. I didn't know so many things went into having a successful auction. I had to deal with sponsors, a budget, venues, and auction items. This auction also came with an added challenge.

Brooke Hawthorne.

It seemed that the blonde had wanted me to fail and was going out of her way to do so. This time around I had a good bit of parent volunteers, most of which had secretly hated Brooke and was finally grateful for a chance to be a part of something she had no part in. The plan was to go bigger than Brooke ever had, and it was settled that we would do a dessert auction, auctioning off baked goods made by Washington's finest bakeries.

That's when all the problems started. Bakeries would somehow not get our letters, some would flat out decline, while others would accept and then randomly change their mind. In the end, we only ended up with two bakeries willing to donate. Even the usual sponsors of the school's auctions were backing out one by one. Every big thing we had planned started falling apart. It wasn't hard to find out that Brooke was using her pull to get at people and ruin everything.

For a few days, our committee was discouraged. How were we supposed to beat Brooke at her thing when we didn't have the resources to? But that's when it hit me. We didn't have to do things Brooke's usual big way to outdo her.

We reached out to parents at the school, and it turned out that there were a lot of amazing family deserts that they wanted to share. The parents who couldn't provide desserts, donated in some way. Before we knew it, things were back in full swing. No, it was nothing like Brooke did over the years. There was nothing fancy or grand about it. But by the way, things were going and the way the guests were enjoying themselves, it didn't matter.

I was proud of myself for what I had accomplished and I thought things couldn't get any better. But I was mistaken.

"Are you Kendra?" Someone tapped on my shoulder.

I turned to see a woman standing there. She looked to be in her late thirties, rocking a tight low bun and a casual formal outfit of blue jeans, white shirt and a black blazer. The first thing that popped out at me was her flawless skin that was a tad bit lighter than my own. She must have a good skin regimen.

"Yes, I'm Kendra," I answered.

"Oh thank goodness, I've been looking everywhere for you," the woman said relieved.

I had no idea who she was. She might have been a parent, but I don't think I've ever seen her around before.

"Do you need anything?" I asked.

She lifted her hand to me, "Angela Grant."

I froze for a few seconds then spoke. "Grant, as in..."

"Yes, that Grant," she said before looking down at her still raised hand "Are you going to leave me hanging?"

"Oh, I'm sorry," I said before quickly grabbing her hand "It's great to meet you, Ms.Grant."

"Likewise."

Angela Grant was a part of one of the wealthiest, prominent families in the east. It was their family foundation that would get the money raised from this auction.