Chapter 40: Published

Kendra...

I turned to the mirror and looked at myself for the final time. The black pencil skirt and blue patterned shirt were new, and they looked amazing. I wasn't the kind that got my hair braided, but today called for a brand new hairdo.

What was so special about today that I had to get a new outfit and hair? At 5:00 am, my piece on the Hawthorne affair was released online, and it would be in the papers this morning. Mr. Cooper, and his Hawthorne-hating self, made sure that Eli's picture was on the front page.

Eli.

I've been trying really hard to not think about him or that day. Just the thought of him, and sent my stomach into a tight knot.

He didn't just lie, he pretended. He hid his whole life from me. Who does that? Claims to love someone but not actually tell them who you really are?

I held the tears the whole way back home, and for a minute, I thought I was fine. But the moment I stepped into my apartment, they came flowing down like crazy! I cried myself to sleep that night.

It's been a week, and I still feel like bawling my eyes out. But today wasn't the day for that. It was about me, my story and the backlash I was sure would come. I was happy.

Well, I should be.

I was angry. Angry at him for lying. Angry at myself for wishing he was here to calm me down. How is it I can hate him and still want him here?

"Mom, I'm ready!" Kyle yelled from the hallway

"I'm coming!"

I checked myself one more time before grabbing my things and heading out.

I may be on the verge of tears, but today was about me, and I was going to make it as good as I can.

********

"Kendra, you did it girl!" Will, one of my coworkers, said as he walked past my desk

"Thanks, Will," I smiled

That had to be the millionth time someone congratulated me that day. And I would be lying if I said all the attention wasn't going to my head.

The paper was selling like crazy. Stands had run out by lunchtime. Almost every news channel was talking about what I wrote. The whole country probably knew my name by now.

I should be happy, I was on my way to becoming the big shot journalist I always wanted to be. But here I was, sitting at my desk, staring at the door waiting for Eli to come through with that smile on his face I knew was meant just for me.

What was wrong with me? I am literally living out my dream and I'm worried about some guy.

"But he's not just some guy," said a voice in my head. I hated to admit it was right.

I felt a presence next to me. I didn't need to look up to see who it was.

"How are you doing?" Iris asked sitting on my desk

"I'm good," I answered as cheerfully as I could

She raised a brow at me. "You know that I know you're lying right?"

"Iris, my story is doing great, everyone is talking about it! Why would I not be good? I'm fine, I'm totally fine," I said

"If you're fine then why do you keep staring at the door waiting for a certain someone to show up?"

"I should have never told you," I teased, squinting at her

"I'm your best friend, you're supposed to tell me," she said, "I was gonna find out anyway. You know Alex can't keep his mouth shut," she added with a shrug